The latest from the mighty Alabama Shakes is one of those special songs that feels like an archeological discovery – like a folk artifact, something singer Brittany Howard dug out of the loamy Alabama soil next to a railroad track. The song, from the new True Blood soundtrack, is also crazily catchy, with a loping roadhouse groove and a chirruping organ line. Howard sings, as usual, with panache, and, a bit unusually, with restraint, serving up sweet confessions: "I caught myself wishing I were the expression on your face/Gone today, then gone without a trace."
- Alabama Shakes
- "Pocket Change"
From The Archives Issue 1185: June 20, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Barely Legal: 30 Nearly Pornographic Mainstream Films
- Kanye West Unveils Provocative, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video
- Guns N' Roses Thrill in Detroit With Electric Reunion Tour Opener
- How the 'Warcraft' Movie Failed
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 5 Hilarious WTF Courtroom Moments
- 10 Best TV Shows of 2016 So Far