It's odd how Rivers Cuomo and Eminem always seem to drop new records at the same time. They both represent a lost golden era to their fanboy cult, and they get knee-jerk hostility from the same Stans who wildly overrated them 10 years ago. But the rest of the world still likes them as much as ever. "Memories," the first single from the forthcoming Hurley, is a clever goof that skewers the Weezer cult by making fun of Nineties nostalgia. Over a chugging groove built on synths and power chords, Cuomo (who turned 40 in June) recalls "Pissin' in plastic cups before we went onstage/Playin' Hacky Sack back when Audioslave was still Rage." Now that Cuomo is a full-fledged adult charged with changing diapers and buying the family groceries, he's dreaming of the old days when people liked techno music, and he delivers the singalong chorus ("Memories make me want to go back there") with enough passion to make you think he's not entirely joking.
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema Blend10 Great Shows That Went Way Downhill
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- 'The Dance' at 25: How Garth Brooks' Weeper Became an Unlikely Hit
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- Watch Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black Remake Extreme's 'More Than Words' Video
- 'The Voice' Top Six Recap: Unexpected Songs Steal the Show
- Eric Clapton Celebrates 70th Birthday With All-Star New York Show
- West Memphis Three's Damien Echols: 'Today Was My Original Execution Date'