A song about how hard it is to keep the world partying when you feel like dying inside, 'Light Up' was already one of the more poignant tracks on Drake's Thank Me Later. Jay-Z's cameo was note-perfect ('I'm not as cool with niggas as I once was'). But this remix cranks the pathos to 11 with a verse from Lil Wayne — delivered over the phone from freakin' Rikers Island. (Is this how he used his one phone call? Talk about true to the game!) Reception in jail must really suck because the connection is so hazy it renders his commanding bullfrog croak into something thin and frayed. But Wayne is clearly elated to reach out and touch someone, and prison hasn't dulled his cleverness one bit: 'Come to my cell/Readin' fan mail/Wish I was in Amsterdam sippin' Amstel/Thinkin' about all of that pussy I can't smell/Man, they did me wrong — I feel like Nelson Mandel'."
"Light Up (Rikers Remix)"
- Drake feat. Jay-Z and Lil Wayne
- "Light Up (Rikers Remix)"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- 15 Best Lines From Justin Bieber's Roast
- Bloodied Van Halen Play Wild, Reckless Set on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- Rolling Stones Announce Summer Tour, 'Sticky Fingers' Reissue
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- 'WWE Raw': Brock Lesnar vs. the World
- Hear Leonard Cohen Cover George Jones' 'Choices' at a Stunning Soundcheck
- See Led Zeppelin's Voyeuristic, Interactive 'Trampled Under Foot' Video