A song about how hard it is to keep the world partying when you feel like dying inside, 'Light Up' was already one of the more poignant tracks on Drake's Thank Me Later. Jay-Z's cameo was note-perfect ('I'm not as cool with niggas as I once was'). But this remix cranks the pathos to 11 with a verse from Lil Wayne — delivered over the phone from freakin' Rikers Island. (Is this how he used his one phone call? Talk about true to the game!) Reception in jail must really suck because the connection is so hazy it renders his commanding bullfrog croak into something thin and frayed. But Wayne is clearly elated to reach out and touch someone, and prison hasn't dulled his cleverness one bit: 'Come to my cell/Readin' fan mail/Wish I was in Amsterdam sippin' Amstel/Thinkin' about all of that pussy I can't smell/Man, they did me wrong — I feel like Nelson Mandel'."
"Light Up (Rikers Remix)"
- Drake feat. Jay-Z and Lil Wayne
- "Light Up (Rikers Remix)"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss8 Classic Movie Props That Were Tossed in the Trash
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Flea: Why I Support Bernie Sanders
- 25 Most Anticipated TV Shows of 2016
- Zola Tells All: The Real Story Behind the Greatest Stripper Saga Ever Tweeted
- The Monkees Plot 50th Anniversary Tour, New LP 'Good Times!'
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Watch Martin Scorsese Impersonate Robert De Niro on 'Fallon'
- The Vampire Squid Tells Us How to Vote