A song about how hard it is to keep the world partying when you feel like dying inside, 'Light Up' was already one of the more poignant tracks on Drake's Thank Me Later. Jay-Z's cameo was note-perfect ('I'm not as cool with niggas as I once was'). But this remix cranks the pathos to 11 with a verse from Lil Wayne — delivered over the phone from freakin' Rikers Island. (Is this how he used his one phone call? Talk about true to the game!) Reception in jail must really suck because the connection is so hazy it renders his commanding bullfrog croak into something thin and frayed. But Wayne is clearly elated to reach out and touch someone, and prison hasn't dulled his cleverness one bit: 'Come to my cell/Readin' fan mail/Wish I was in Amsterdam sippin' Amstel/Thinkin' about all of that pussy I can't smell/Man, they did me wrong — I feel like Nelson Mandel'."
"Light Up (Rikers Remix)"
- Drake feat. Jay-Z and Lil Wayne
- "Light Up (Rikers Remix)"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise
- How LSD Microdosing Became the Hot New Business Trip
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- The Republicans Are Now Officially the Party of White Paranoia
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Twisted Sister Allow Donald Trump to Use 'We're Not Gonna Take It'
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time