For the past two decades, Steven Tyler has pushed Aerosmith toward power ballads while Joe Perry has lobbied for hard rock. It seems Perry won the argument for this comeback single. "Legendary Child" – from the band's first studio album in eight years, due this fall – is built on stacks of guitars, though it sounds like the band was too busy blasting away to bother with much of a melody. Instead, you get a so–so tune and Tyler–esque wisdom, like "Sticks and stones will break your bones, or at least will rearrange them." It's great to have the fellas back and getting sweaty, but how about tossing in one of those killer sleaze‐rock hooks next time?
- "Legendary Child"
From The Archives Issue 1158: June 7, 2012
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss8 Classic Movie Props That Were Tossed in the Trash
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Sequel to Cult Classic 'Labyrinth' in the Works
- Watch Metallica's 'The Night Before' Pre-Super Bowl Concert Live
- 28 WTF Moments From the GOP Debate
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce's Colorful 'Hymn for the Weekend' Video
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Zola Tells All: The Real Story Behind the Greatest Stripper Saga Ever Tweeted