Just 48 hours after the birth of his and Beyoncé's royal heiress, Blue Ivy Carter, Jay-Z served up this postpartum anthem with a lilting Neptunes beat, a news-breaking disclosure about a previous miscarriage ("All the pain of the last time/I prayed so hard it was the last time") and a sample of baby Blue herself. "Glory" is a hip-hop "Isn’t She Lovely," mixing exultant proud-papa sentiments with brand-consolidation braggadocio: "A pinch of Hov, a whole glass of B." But the mood is reflective. "Everybody go through stuff," Jay tells his daughter. "Life is a gift, love, open it up."
- Jay-Z feat. B.I.C.
From The Archives Issue 1148: January 19, 2012
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Snow Day
- 'Obama Out': See President's Scathing Correspondents' Dinner Speech
- See Aretha Franklin Sing Prince's 'Purple Rain' at White House
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Paul McCartney Meets Women Who Inspired Beatles' 'Blackbird'
- The Line That May Have Won Hillary Clinton the Nomination
- Drake's New 'Views' Look All Too Familiar
- 'Purple Rain' Director Talks Prince's Weird, Wonderful Masterpiece