Just 48 hours after the birth of his and Beyoncé's royal heiress, Blue Ivy Carter, Jay-Z served up this postpartum anthem with a lilting Neptunes beat, a news-breaking disclosure about a previous miscarriage ("All the pain of the last time/I prayed so hard it was the last time") and a sample of baby Blue herself. "Glory" is a hip-hop "Isn’t She Lovely," mixing exultant proud-papa sentiments with brand-consolidation braggadocio: "A pinch of Hov, a whole glass of B." But the mood is reflective. "Everybody go through stuff," Jay tells his daughter. "Life is a gift, love, open it up."
- Jay-Z feat. B.I.C.
From The Archives Issue 1148: January 19, 2012
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Movies, Ranked Worst to Best
- 17 Things You Learn Hanging Out With Adele
- The Oral History of the 'Wayne’s World' 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Scene
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- George Lucas Explains Controversial Greedo–Han Solo 'Star Wars' Edit
- Acid Tests Turn 50: Wavy Gravy, Merry Prankster Ken Babbs Look Back
- Jimmy Page Before Led Zeppelin: 20 Great Sixties Session Songs