Zayn Malik Abandons One Direction's World Tour

Singer "has been signed off with stress," says rep, after allegations of infidelity

One Direction's Zayn Malik has left the band's tour due to "stress," says the band's rep. Credit: Kevin Winter/Getty Images

One Direction's Zayn Malik is taking a hiatus from the band's world tour. Billboard has confirmed the singer's return to his home in the UK as the remaining four members continue with their performances in Manila and Jakarta. There is no word on when he will return.

According to a rep, Malik "has been signed off with stress." The news follows a scandal surrounding a photo of the 22-year-old holding hands with a girl other than his fiancée Perrie Edwards of Little Mix. He responded to the rumors on Twitter Wednesday night by declaring his love for Edwards.

Malik's departure is not the first time One Direction has had to perform without him. In November, he did not make an appearance on the Today show due to a stomach issue. While host Matt Lauer asked the band if his absence was related to substance abuse, both the band and Malik have denied these claims.

While a new album hasn't been confirmed by the boy band, Malik has been working on new music with UK artist Naughty Boy. The producer and songwriter who had a hit with Sam Smith with the single "La La La" revealed to The Independent that the pair have written several songs together, including one titled "One Chance to Dance" to be recorded by One Direction.

Last fall, the band released their fourth album Four. The album had been a huge departure for the band, who mainly eschewed pop and dance in favor of folk rock. One Direction are currently on a world tour that will last through October of this year with a break in late April and May.