A three-and-a-half-minute slice of mainstream guitar rock with a touch of girl-group pop, "Walk Like an Egyptian" also contains a whiff of novelty, with its odd subject matter of observing life on the Nile and the brief bout of whistling in the instrumental break. Written by Liam Sternberg, a demo featuring Marti Jones on vocals was turned down by Toni Basil of "Mickey" fame before making its way to the Bangles. Singer and drummer Debbi Peterson doesn't appear on the record, accounting in part for her description of the track in Rolling Stone as "a nice little novelty song kind of thing, but I don't feel like it's us."
Walk Like an Egyptian
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic
- Eagles Members, Jackson Browne Uniting for Glenn Frey Grammy Tribute
- Sorry, Not Sorry: Watch 29 Celebs Perform Justin Bieber Hit
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- 10 Things We Learned From L.A. Reid's Juicy Tell-All
- Stephen King on 'Dark Tower' Movie: 'It's Likely to Happen'