The lilting summer soul song paints a familiar seaside scene (a carousel, hot dogs, French fries) and describes a couple "havin' some fun under the boardwalk," unbeknownst to the "people walking above." The song -- written by Kenny Young and Art Resnick -- was supposed to be sung by the group's Rudy Lewis, but the night before the session he died of a heroin overdose. Former lead vocalist Johnny Moore returned to the Drifters to cut the song, and it went to Number Four on the Billboard chart. "Very flattering to suggest 'UTB' was as well known as 'Happy Birthday,'" Young said of the song's immense popularity.
Under the Boardwalk
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- Bloodied Van Halen Play Wild, Reckless Set on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- 15 Best Lines From Justin Bieber's Roast
- Rolling Stones Announce Summer Tour, 'Sticky Fingers' Reissue
- Joni Mitchell Hospitalized in Los Angeles
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- 'WWE Raw': Brock Lesnar vs. the World
- Don't #Beliebe the Hype: Inside Justin Bieber's Roast