The lilting summer soul song paints a familiar seaside scene (a carousel, hot dogs, French fries) and describes a couple "havin' some fun under the boardwalk," unbeknownst to the "people walking above." The song -- written by Kenny Young and Art Resnick -- was supposed to be sung by the group's Rudy Lewis, but the night before the session he died of a heroin overdose. Former lead vocalist Johnny Moore returned to the Drifters to cut the song, and it went to Number Four on the Billboard chart. "Very flattering to suggest 'UTB' was as well known as 'Happy Birthday,'" Young said of the song's immense popularity.
Under the Boardwalk
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Ace Frehley Announces New LP, 'White Room' Cover, Paul Stanley Reunion
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Anti-Beyonce Protesters Planning Rally Outside NFL Offices
- 25 Worst Original Names of Famous Bands
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic