The lilting summer soul song paints a familiar seaside scene (a carousel, hot dogs, French fries) and describes a couple "havin' some fun under the boardwalk," unbeknownst to the "people walking above." The song -- written by Kenny Young and Art Resnick -- was supposed to be sung by the group's Rudy Lewis, but the night before the session he died of a heroin overdose. Former lead vocalist Johnny Moore returned to the Drifters to cut the song, and it went to Number Four on the Billboard chart. "Very flattering to suggest 'UTB' was as well known as 'Happy Birthday,'" Young said of the song's immense popularity.
Under the Boardwalk
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Men's Journal9 Traits That Attract Women
- Watch Bruce Springsteen's Surprise Performance With U2
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Derek Zoolander Can't Grasp Movie Title in Hilarious 'Zoolander 2' Teaser
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Tom Brady: Sympathy for the Devil
- Meek Mill Fires Back at Drake With 'Wanna Know'
- Watch Paul McCartney Perform 'Get Back' With Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard