The lilting summer soul song paints a familiar seaside scene (a carousel, hot dogs, French fries) and describes a couple "havin' some fun under the boardwalk," unbeknownst to the "people walking above." The song -- written by Kenny Young and Art Resnick -- was supposed to be sung by the group's Rudy Lewis, but the night before the session he died of a heroin overdose. Former lead vocalist Johnny Moore returned to the Drifters to cut the song, and it went to Number Four on the Billboard chart. "Very flattering to suggest 'UTB' was as well known as 'Happy Birthday,'" Young said of the song's immense popularity.
Under the Boardwalk
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
The Daily Beast2015's Most Anticipated Movies
MicThe Best Album of the Year — You Won’t Hear at the Grammys
Mic13 Albums That Prove 2015 Will Be a Way Better Year for Music
Men's JournalHow Technology is Affecting Our Relationships
The Daily BeastAre These the Future Oscar Winners?
- Watch Kanye West Serenade Daughter in Heartwarming 'Only One' Video
- Justin Bieber Apologizes: 'I'm Not Who I Was Pretending to Be'
- When Cops Break Bad: Inside a Police Force Gone Wild
- Behind Hozier's Unlikely Rise
- Tom Petty on Sam Smith Settlement: 'No Hard Feelings. These Things Happen'
- Flashback: Nirvana Play a Bit of Boston's 'More Than a Feeling'
- Blink-182's Hoppus, Barker Blast 'Ungrateful, Disingenuous' Tom DeLonge
- Tim McGraw to Step In for Glen Campbell at the Oscars