The lilting summer soul song paints a familiar seaside scene (a carousel, hot dogs, French fries) and describes a couple "havin' some fun under the boardwalk," unbeknownst to the "people walking above." The song -- written by Kenny Young and Art Resnick -- was supposed to be sung by the group's Rudy Lewis, but the night before the session he died of a heroin overdose. Former lead vocalist Johnny Moore returned to the Drifters to cut the song, and it went to Number Four on the Billboard chart. "Very flattering to suggest 'UTB' was as well known as 'Happy Birthday,'" Young said of the song's immense popularity.
Under the Boardwalk
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Green Day Thank Vans, Fans, Rock & Roll at Hall of Fame: Read the Speech
- Ringo Starr Inducted, Green Day Shine at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Read Ringo Starr's Jovial Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Speech
- Jon Stewart Opens Up About Leaving 'Daily Show'
- 'Ringo Nailed It': Paul McCartney Inducts Starr Into Rock Hall of Fame
- Read Miley Cyrus' Badass Hall of Fame Speech for Joan Jett
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Yoko Ono: Ringo Starr 'Was the Most Influential Beatle'