The history of the girl group predates rock & roll itself: Way back in the late 1930s, the Andrews Sisters became some of the first pop superstars. They helped pave the way for the classic girl-group era, which began a few decades later when acts including the Shirelles, the Crystals, the Ronettes, the Chiffons and the Shangri-Las led a wave of massively popular female vocal groups. The girl-group universe has continued to expand and evolve over the years, with R&B, disco and hip-hop acts getting in the game. Hear it all in our ultimate Spotify playlist, featuring 30 classic examples of the form.
Ultimate Girl Group Playlist
From the Shirelles to Destiny's Child, listen to 30 tracks in our Spotify playlist
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
The Daily BeastThe Hottest Movies at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival
MicWhy The Grammys Will Never Represent Real Music
MicThe Best Hip-Hop of 2014 Came From A Very Unlikely Place
Men's Journal10 Health Benefits of Being in a Relationship
The Daily Beast‘American Sniper’ Divides Hollywood
- Paul McCartney, Kanye West, Rihanna Team Up for 'FourFiveSeconds'
- 'American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize
- Watch Korn and Slipknot Cover Beastie Boys' 'Sabotage' in London
- Cicada: Solving the Web's Deepest Mystery
- Flashback: Neil Young Covers 'Sweet Home Alabama' in 1977
- Noel Gallagher on Oasis Reunion: 'It Would Only Be for the Money'
- Ryan Adams and Mandy Moore 'Mutually Decided to End Their Marriage'
- Tangerine Dream Founder Edgar Froese Dead at 70