The history of the girl group predates rock & roll itself: Way back in the late 1930s, the Andrews Sisters became some of the first pop superstars. They helped pave the way for the classic girl-group era, which began a few decades later when acts including the Shirelles, the Crystals, the Ronettes, the Chiffons and the Shangri-Las led a wave of massively popular female vocal groups. The girl-group universe has continued to expand and evolve over the years, with R&B, disco and hip-hop acts getting in the game. Hear it all in our ultimate Spotify playlist, featuring 30 classic examples of the form.
Ultimate Girl Group Playlist
From the Shirelles to Destiny's Child, listen to 30 tracks in our Spotify playlist
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Green Day Thank Vans, Fans, Rock & Roll at Hall of Fame: Read the Speech
- Read Miley Cyrus' Badass Hall of Fame Speech for Joan Jett
- Yoko Ono: Ringo Starr 'Was the Most Influential Beatle'
- Joan Jett Delivers Blistering Rock Hall Set With Dave Grohl, Miley Cyrus
- Read Fall Out Boy's Loving Green Day Tribute at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Read Patti Smith's Poignant Lou Reed Rock Hall Induction
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Stephen Colbert Admits He Didn't Want to Host 'Daily Show'