The history of the girl group predates rock & roll itself: Way back in the late 1930s, the Andrews Sisters became some of the first pop superstars. They helped pave the way for the classic girl-group era, which began a few decades later when acts including the Shirelles, the Crystals, the Ronettes, the Chiffons and the Shangri-Las led a wave of massively popular female vocal groups. The girl-group universe has continued to expand and evolve over the years, with R&B, disco and hip-hop acts getting in the game. Hear it all in our ultimate Spotify playlist, featuring 30 classic examples of the form.
Ultimate Girl Group Playlist
From the Shirelles to Destiny's Child, listen to 30 tracks in our Spotify playlist
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
AskMenThe Top 99 Outstanding Women of 2015
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most ‘Elite’ Sex Party
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
Salon5 Mysteries We Hope the “X-Files” Reboot Will Resolve
Cinema Blend10 Great Movies To Watch Before Netflix Gets Rid Of Them On April 1
- The Children of ISIS
- Rihanna Asserts Her Dominance on New Song 'Bitch Better Have My Money'
- Dr. Dre Talks N.W.A Biopic, Eazy-E's Death, Eminem and Making New Music
- Roger Daltrey: 'I Want Us to Stop at the Top of Our Game'
- Andy Summers on the Police: 'We Were the Most Desirable Men in the World'
- Sara Evans Blasts Fox's 'Last Man on Earth': 'I Was Thoroughly Disgusted'
- 10 New Artists You Need to Know: March 2015