The history of the girl group predates rock & roll itself: Way back in the late 1930s, the Andrews Sisters became some of the first pop superstars. They helped pave the way for the classic girl-group era, which began a few decades later when acts including the Shirelles, the Crystals, the Ronettes, the Chiffons and the Shangri-Las led a wave of massively popular female vocal groups. The girl-group universe has continued to expand and evolve over the years, with R&B, disco and hip-hop acts getting in the game. Hear it all in our ultimate Spotify playlist, featuring 30 classic examples of the form.
Ultimate Girl Group Playlist
From the Shirelles to Destiny's Child, listen to 30 tracks in our Spotify playlist
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Real People Screwed By 'True-Story' Movies Based On Them
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died At Age 27
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Salon10 Insane Climax Tips
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Cracked6 On-Set Arguments That Almost Derailed Classic Films
- Gwen Stefani Enlists George Clooney, Julia Roberts for 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Prince in the Nineties: An Oral History
- Arsenio Hall Sues Sinead O'Connor for $5 Million
- Why America Can't Quit the Drug War
- 10 Songs You Didn't Know Ed Sheeran Wrote
- Want to Move to Canada If Trump Wins? Not So Fast
- See System of a Down's Serj Tankian Perform New Political Song 'Artsakh'
- Serj Tankian on 'Personal' Film Soundtrack, State of System of a Down