The history of the girl group predates rock & roll itself: Way back in the late 1930s, the Andrews Sisters became some of the first pop superstars. They helped pave the way for the classic girl-group era, which began a few decades later when acts including the Shirelles, the Crystals, the Ronettes, the Chiffons and the Shangri-Las led a wave of massively popular female vocal groups. The girl-group universe has continued to expand and evolve over the years, with R&B, disco and hip-hop acts getting in the game. Hear it all in our ultimate Spotify playlist, featuring 30 classic examples of the form.
Ultimate Girl Group Playlist
From the Shirelles to Destiny's Child, listen to 30 tracks in our Spotify playlist
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- 15 Best Lines From Justin Bieber's Roast
- Bloodied Van Halen Play Wild, Reckless Set on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- Rolling Stones Announce Summer Tour, 'Sticky Fingers' Reissue
- 'WWE Raw': Brock Lesnar vs. the World
- Hear Leonard Cohen Cover George Jones' 'Choices' at a Stunning Soundcheck
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- Joni Mitchell Hospitalized in Los Angeles