Tony Bennett will return to the MTV Video Music Awards stage this Sunday night in Los Angeles for the first time since 1993 to pay tribute to the late Amy Winehouse, an MTV spokesperson tells Rolling Stone.
The two teamed up to record "Body and Soul" for his Duets II album, out September 20th. Bennett will introduce video footage from the pair's recording session this past March in London, as well as additional musical performances to be announced – which means it's possible that Adele and Gaga, who both paid respects to Winehouse following her passing and are scheduled to perform at the VMAs, will be involved.
Bennett says the song is a fitting homage to her musical gifts. "It was a thrill to record with Amy Winehouse and when you listen to the recording of 'Body and Soul,' it is a testament to her artistic genius and her brilliance as one of the most honest musicians I have ever known,” Bennett said in a statement.
Proceeds from the track – which will be released as both a single and video September 14th, Winehouse's birthday – will go to the Amy Winehouse Foundation. And while Winehouse's father, Mitch, has made headlines recently by turning down charity donations, he is welcoming the support from MTV.
"Our family is honored that the VMA's are giving Amy this wonderful tribute," Mitch Winehouse said. "We know that Amy's performance of 'Rehab' at the MTV Movie Awards played an important part in Amy's worldwide success.”
• Amy Winehouse's Death: A Troubled Star Gone Too Soon
• Musicians Respond to Amy Winehouse's Death
• Photos: Amy Winehouse Remembered
• Photos: The Tumultuous Life Of Amy Winehouse
• The Diva and Her Demons: Rolling Stone's 2007 Amy Winehouse Cover Story
• Up All Night With Amy Winehouse: Rolling Stone's 2008 Story
• Video: Behind the Feature: Claire Hoffman on Interviewing Amy Winehouse
• Photos: Not Fade Away: Amy Winehouse and More Rockers Lost Before Their Time
• Video: Amy Winehouse: Remembering the Soul Icon
• Video: U2 Pay Tribute to Amy Winehouse
• Family: Amy Winehouse's Death 'Leaves a Gaping Hole In Our Lives'
• Courtney Love on Amy Winehouse: 'I'm Gutted'