Tony Bennett has confirmed that his recording of "Body and Soul" featuring Amy Winehouse will soon be released as a charity single. The collaboration, which was recorded earlier this year and is the final completed recording by the late singer, is also set to appear on Tony Bennett: Duets II, due out September 20th.
"Everybody was apprehensive as to how it was going to go," Bennett told Rolling Stone, speaking of their collaboration. "But she was really the best of all the young artists that I met in the current scene in the last 10 or 15 years. She was really singing true jazz. It’s just too tragic. I wanted to talk to her and tell her that if she doesn’t stop she’s going to die. I wanted to talk her out of the drugs, but unfortunately I never had a chance to talk to her."
"What's going to happen is that we're putting ["Body and Soul"] out ahead of the album," Bennett told MTV. "And it's going to a foundation that her father started to teach all the young children not to take drugs, and all the royalties of the record will go to that."
• Lady Gaga Says 'Amy Winehouse Deserved Better'
• Amy Winehouse: A Troubled Star Gone Too Soon
• Photos: Amy Winehouse Remembered
• Photos: The Tumultuous Life Of Amy Winehouse
• Musicians Respond to Amy Winehouse's Death
• The Diva and her Demons: Rolling Stone's 2007 Amy Winehouse Cover Story
• Up All Night with Amy Winehouse: Rolling Stone's 2008 Story
• Video: Behind the Feature: Claire Hoffman on Interviewing Amy Winehouse
• Photos: Not Fade Away: Amy Winehouse and More Rockers Lost Before Their Time
• Video: Amy Winehouse: Remembering the Soul Icon
• Video: U2 Pay Tribute to Amy Winehouse
• Family: Amy Winehouse's Death 'Leaves a Gaping Hole In Our Lives'
• Courtney Love on Amy Winehouse: 'I'm Gutted'
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
MUSIC 9 Classic Devo Videos
OLYMPICS 18 Epic Opening Ceremonies
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus