The legacy of jazz legend Miles Davis will be celebrated on a pair of new releases curated by Grammy-winning pianist Robert Glasper. The first, Everything's Beautiful, is an all-star tribute album that finds Glasper reimagining Davis songs with guests like Stevie Wonder, Erykah Badu, Laura Mvula, Bilal, John Scofield and more.
The second LP is the soundtrack for the upcoming Davis biopic Miles Ahead. In addition to Davis classics, the soundtrack will also feature new music by Glasper alongside artists like Gary Clark Jr, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock and Don Cheadle, who plays the trumpeter in the film.
The Miles Ahead soundtrack is due out April 1st and Everything's Beautiful arrives May 27th, the day after what would have been Davis' 90th birthday. Glasper and guest Bilal unveiled the laid-back first single "Ghetto Walkin'" Wednesday on Beats 1. The track revolves around a sample from Davis' "The Ghetto Walk," an outtake from his fertile In a Silent Way sessions.
"I didn't want to do just a remix record. My idea was to show how Miles inspired people to make new art," Glasper said of Everything's Beautiful in a statement. "I am living in the spirit of Miles when I am doing what I'm doing because I am documenting my time period. I'm documenting what's around me. I'm documenting who I am now, where music is now. That's what this project is about. I wanted to do something where we can take some of Miles' ideas, shake them up, and try to show the influence of Miles and make new things. And that's the beauty of this whole album. The whole project is based on Miles, but it is based on Miles' vision, it's based on Miles' trumpet, it's based on Miles' voice, it's based on Miles' composition, it's based on Miles' influence, it's based on Miles' swag."
As for the Miles Ahead soundtrack, Cheadle writes in the album's liner notes, "We culled the library for every style Miles touched ... looking for cues to bridge key moments, bring others into focus. The stuff a good score is supposed to do. Miles made it easier. His music is multi-faceted and score friendly." Miles Ahead will premiere at the SXSW Film festival on March 16th, with Cheadle and Glasper set to appear on a panel at the Austin fest to discuss the soundtrack and the film.
Everything's Beautiful Track List
1. "Talking Shit"
2. "Ghetto Walkin" featuring Bilal
3. "They Can't Hold Me Down" featuring Illa J
4. "Maiysha (So Long)" featuring Erykah Badu
5. "Violets" featuring Phonte
6. "Little Church" featuring Hiatus Kaiyote
7. "Silence Is The Way" featuring Laura Mvula
8. "Song For Selim" featuring KING
9. "Milestones" featuring Georgia Ann Muldrow
10. "I'm Leaving You" featuring John Scofield and Ledisi
11. "Right On Brotha" featuring Stevie Wonder
Miles Ahead – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Track List
1. "Miles Ahead"
2. Dialogue: "It takes a long time..."
3. "So What"
4. Taylor Eigisti – "Taylor Made"
5. Dialogue: "Listen, you talk too goddam much..."
6. "Solea (excerpt)"
7. "Seven Steps To Heaven (edit)"
8. Dialogue: "If you gonna tell a story..."
9. "Nefertiti (edit)"
10. "Frelon Brun"
11. Dialogue: "Sometimes you have these thoughts..."
12. "Duran (take 6)" (edit)
13. Dialogue: "You own my music..."
14. "Go Ahead John" (part two C)
15. "Black Satin (edit)"
16. Dialogue: "Be musical about this shit..."
17. "Prelude #II"
18. Dialogue: "Y'all listening to them...?
19. Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Marcus Strickland – "Junior's Jam"
20. Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Elena Pinderhughes – "Francessence"
21. "Back Seat Betty" (excerpt)
22. Dialogue: "I don't like the word jazz..."
23. Don Cheadle, Robert Glasper, Gary Clark, Jr., Herbie Hancock, Keyon Harrold, Antonio Sanchez, Esperanza Spaulding, Wayne Shorter – "What's Wrong With That?"
24. Robert Glasper, Keyon Harrold, Pharoahe Monch – "Gone 2015"