Roger Waters is making plans to bring his highly successful Wall tour back to America in 2012. The show will hit venues he missed the first time around – as well as baseball stadiums in a few big cities. "There are quite a few markets we didn't cover last time, like Austin," he says in an interview for the new issue of Rolling Stone, on stands and available through Rolling Stone All Access on September 30th. "But we want to base the tour around Saturday nights in baseball stadiums. As we speak, I'm at my office working on an outdoor version of the show."
Pink Floyd played live versions of The Wall in 1980 and 1981, and Waters spent the last year reviving it – but it's always been an indoor show. "We're going to be projecting over 140 yards," he says. "So now it's going to be 1,500 pixels wide. We've done light tests and Fenway Park and Wrigley Field and Yankee Stadium just to see what the ambient light is like. And it's fine. It works. We've taken part of the Wall and the projectors into those three places."
When the American tour ends next summer, Waters will have been on the road for nearly two years. "They're trying to get me back to Europe next year," says Waters. "But I think I'll be completely cooked by the end of July next year."
This may be Waters' last big tour. "I'm not sure I want to go out and do the greatest hits again," he says. "Which just sucks. What I love to do is theater in a rock & roll context. I think if I did any more in the future, it might well be smaller."
• Surviving Members of Pink Floyd Revisit 'Dark Side,' Band Tensions
• Video: 30 Years of Pink Floyd in 17 Minutes
• Nick Mason: I Can't Let Go of Pink Floyd
• Alan Parsons on 'Dark Side': 'Roger Knew Something Great Was in the Making'
• Storm Thorgerson: How I Designed the Cover of 'Dark Side of the Moon'
• Erykah Badu, Billy Corgan and More on Legacy of 'Dark Side of the Moon'
• Behind the Scenes of Pink Floyd's 2011 Reunion
• Inside Pink Floyd: Rolling Stone's 1987 Cover Story
• The Madcap Who Named Pink Floyd: Rolling Stone's 1971 Interview with Syd Barrett
• The Dark Side of Pink Floyd: The Illustrated History of the Band's Last Days and Bittersweet Reunions
• Rolling Stone Readers Pick Their 10 Favorite Pink Floyd Songs
• Photos: Roger Waters Rehearses For the Wall Tour
• The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time: Pink Floyd, 'The Dark Side of the Moon'