.

Rick Ross Says Threats Played No Role in Canceling Tour

Rapper blames promoter for not 'handling his business'

Rick Ross
Jeff Fusco/Getty Images
December 11, 2012 10:05 AM ET

Rick Ross denied that gang threats prompted him to nix a handful of tour dates, telling Miami radio station 99 Jamz that the cancellations were a result of a promoter who "wasn't really handling his business." 

Following a string of canceled shows last week, starting with a date in Tuscon, Arizona, Ross said that he shut the whole tour down once things started to unravel, adding that threats had nothing to do with it.

50 Best Albums of 2012: Rick Ross, 'Rich Forever' 

"I'm a certified man, I am a real boss and this is something that everybody need to understand, gangsters move in silence," Ross said. "And in situations like that, I remember something an old-school Dade County gangster told me a long time ago, that any dude can stand in the crowd with 30, 40 dudes and everybody real, everybody trill, everybody about that life, everybody gangsta. But when the choppers come out everybody fold."

Ross also mentioned Larry Hoover (the mob boss the rapper name-checked in his hit "B.M.F.") and addressed a scuffle with Young Jeezy at the BET Awards this fall before conclusing that he's not concerned with personal vendettas. "I could put 1,000 gangsters in any hood, but that's not what I'm here for: I'm here to make stars, I'm here to make icons, I'm here to be Grammy nominated--and that's what I'm doing." 

To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here

prev
Music Main Next

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Newsletter

Get the latest RS news in your inbox.

Sign up to receive the Rolling Stone newsletter and special offers from RS and its
marketing partners.

X

We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Rolling Stone and its partners. For more information please read our Privacy Policy.

Song Stories

“More Than a Feeling”

Boston | 1976

Boston mastermind Tom Scholz was as surprised by anyone when he sent his unsolicited demo to record labels and got back a positive response. Scholz said, “I couldn’t believe it. Nobody knew who we were, so I wouldn’t even say we were struggling. It was groveling.” Part of the credit for the interest must go to the anthemic rock number "More Than a Feeling." Inspired by the Left Banke's 1966 hit "Walk Away Renee," Scholz worked on the song for five years in his basement studio before it was released on this album.

More Song Stories entries »