R.E.M. will celebrate the 25th anniversary of their third album Fables of the Reconstruction with a double-disc reissue that pairs the complete digitally remastered original record with a second disc of demos and unreleased tracks from the era titled "The Athens Demos." The Fables reissue, due out July 13th, will also come with new liner notes written by R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck packaged in a lift-top box with a poster and four postcards. The reissue will also be available digitally and on 180-gram vinyl.
"It's a personal favorite," writes Buck of the album, which includes the band's classic "Driver 8," "and I'm really proud of how strange it is. Nobody but R.E.M. could have made that record. It took our four twisted personalities and the legendary Joe Boyd to make an album that character-filled and vibey."
Fables of the Reconstruction found the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers leaving behind their native Athens, Georgia, and recording for the first time in London, though "The Athens Demos" captures the group's initial recordings in their hometown. In addition to all 11 Fables tracks in demo form, the second disc also features the debut of the fan-favorite unreleased track "Throw Those Trolls Away" plus the demo of B side "Bandwagon" and an early version of "Hyena," which would later appear on Lifes Rich Pageant.
R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction (25th Anniversary Edition)
Disc One: digitally remastered original album
1. "Feeling Gravity's Pull"
2. "Maps and Legends"
3. "Driver 8"
4. "Life and How To Live It"
5. "Old Man Kensey"
6. "Can't Get There From Here"
7. "Green Grow The Rushes"
9. "Auctioneer (Another Engine)"
10. "Good Advices"
11. "Wendell Gee"
Disc Two: "The Athens Demos"
1. "Auctioneer (Another Engine) [demo version]"
2. "Bandwagon [demo version]" [final version was B side to "Can't Get There From Here"]
3. "Can't Get There From Here [demo version]"
4. "Driver 8 [demo version]"
5. "Feeling Gravity's Pull [demo version]"
6. "Good Advices [demo version]"
7. "Green Grow The Rushes [demo version]"
8. "Hyena [demo version]" [album version appeared on Lifes Rich Pageant]
9. "Kohoutek [demo version]"
10. "Life and How To Live It [demo version]"
11. "Maps and Legends [demo version]"
12. "Old Man Kensey [demo version]"
13. "Throw Those Trolls Away [demo version]" [previously unreleased]
14. "Wendell Gee [demo version]"
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
CULTURE Odd Future's 'GTAV' Party
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus