Last week, Panic! at the Disco released a snippet of what they told their fans was "something for all of your patience over the last year." The prize was a ninety-second clip from a new song called "We're So Starving" that the band admitted would "undergo some change" when they headed to Abbey Road Studios this month to finish their sophomore record, due in March.
Fast forward to yesterday, when Pete Wentz (who signed the over-the-top Vegas quartet to his Decaydance imprint) put up a blog entry in defense of his pals: "Not too sure that anyone gets that the new Panic! song is a joke," he wrote. "Sell me a sense of humor. The new record is different than whatever you are thinking." What led to Wentz's latest defense of the band? A chronology of recent Panic! developments (and a possible solution to the latest puzzle) below.
- December 12th: After going completely blank, Panic! at the Disco's official site is replaced by a Wheel of Fortune-style puzzle, solved two days later with the words "You Don't Have to Worry." On the same day, an open call for extras goes up for the video accompanying the new single, "Nine in the Afternoon," which they performed live at several gigs during '07.
- December 18th: A jigsaw puzzle appears on Panicatthedisco.com, along with a timestamp referring to 01:01:08. Speculation mounts that an announcement is coming in the new year and rumors begin circulating that the band is headlining the 2008 Honda Civic Tour.
- December 22nd: Pete Wentz posts a photo from the set of "Nine in the Afternoon" and says "this band has blown me away again."
- December 25th: As a Christmas surprise, the puzzle pieces on the official site are updated with short clips of a new song.
- January 1st: Panic's MySpace is updated with "We're So Starving." The song is a marked change from the band's smash debut, A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. Though Panic! had confessed to abandoning their initial approach to Fever's follow-up, telling RS last year, "Our new songs are more like classic rock than modern rock," it didn't stop a post about the song on Panic! LiveJournal community from garnering over 1,100 posts from mostly underwhelmed fans.
- January 7th: Pete Wentz comes to Panic's defense, and the band's site is updated again, with a new timestamp dated 01:10:08. Fans point out that date is also the day the Honda Civic Tour headliner will be announced. And just the other day Rock Daily received an invite to a "Special Announcement" from Panic! at the Disco, taking place January 10th at the American Honda Motor Co., Inc. Coincidence? Stay tuned for updates.
• In the Studio: Panic! at the Disco (With Bonus Pete Wentz Video Interview)
• Panic! At the Disco Video: A "New" Song We May Never Hear Again
• Panic! At the Disco's Ryan Ross Talks New Album As He Turns Legal at Pete Wentz's Bar
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
MUSIC 9 Classic Devo Videos
OLYMPICS 18 Epic Opening Ceremonies