Pearl Jam, My Morning Jacket, R.E.M. and Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor have all signed a petition asking both Barack Obama and John McCain to have a presidential debate in the flood-ravaged city of New Orleans. Organized by the Gulf Restoration Network and Voice of the Wetlands, the petition asks the candidates to come to the Big Easy to discuss how the government plans to use federal money to restore Louisiana's coastal security and stabilize the state's communities. Google, YouTube and New Orleans universities are co-sponsoring the debate, scheduled for September 18th, and ask both candidates to commit the attend the event. Artists like 311, Jackson Browne and a host of N'Awlins-based musicians like Dr. John and the Neville Brothers have also signed the petition, which was then sent to Obama and McCain via the U.S. Senate. So far, neither has responded.
Pearl Jam, NIN, R.E.M. Sign New Orleans Presidential Debate Petition
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema Blend10 Great Shows That Went Way Downhill
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- 'The Dance' at 25: How Garth Brooks' Weeper Became an Unlikely Hit
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- 'The Voice' Top Six Recap: Unexpected Songs Steal the Show
- Watch Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black Remake Extreme's 'More Than Words' Video
- Eric Clapton Celebrates 70th Birthday With All-Star New York Show
- West Memphis Three's Damien Echols: 'Today Was My Original Execution Date'