Ol' Dirty Bastard Leaves Hospital After Robbery Shooting

July 1, 1998 12:00 AM ET

Less than nine hours after being shot in the back during an alleged robbery, Wu-Tang Clan rapper Ol' Dirty Bastard walked out of a New York hospital against doctors' orders.

The 29-year-old Brooklyn resident checked himself into St. John's Hospital's emergency ward shortly after the shooting, which took place at 5:30 p.m. in the Brownsville section of the borough. Two men entered ODB's apartment at 254 Ralph Ave. and threatened him with a gun before stealing an undisclosed amount of money and jewelry, according to a police spokeswoman.

ODB, who was born Russell Jones, was shot once during the robbery. The bullet entered through his back and exited through an arm, hospital spokesman Lars Larmon told JAMTV on Wednesday.

"He was very lucky that the bullet didn't hit any organs and just grazed the body," he said. "It could have gone anywhere else and he wouldn't be here today."

Doctors treated ODB for superficial wounds and used an oxygen monitor to regulate his breathing because they feared the bullet had grazed his lungs, Larmon said. No complications arose, and ODB was listed in stable condition until approximately 2 a.m., when he suddenly checked out of the hospital. He was scheduled to remain under observation until at least 11 a.m., when St. John's generally discharges patients who have obtained a doctor's approval.

"He got out of bed, started getting his things together...walked out the emergency room door, got into his van and drove off," Larmon said.

A spokeswoman for ODB said he is recuperating at a nearby home, but will not return to his Brooklyn apartment for some time. She could not comment on whether the rapper knew his assailants or would help the police identify suspects.

The 81st Precinct of the Brooklyn Police has made no arrests in this case, but the police spokeswoman said they suspect the robbery was a random act of violence rather than an attempted hit on the multiplatinum rapper.

"It was a terrible thing to have happen," the chairman of Loud Records, Steven Rifkind, said in a press release Wednesday. "Thankfully, he is OK and we are praying for a speedy recovery."

ODB, who changed his name to Big Baby Jesus in April, suffered another run-in with the law on May 20, when a Brooklyn judge ordered him to pay $35,000 in back child support to Icelene Jones, the mother of three of his children. One month earlier, he pleaded guilty to attempted assault against the same woman.

To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here

Music Main Next
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Daily Newsletter

Get the latest RS news in your inbox.

Sign up to receive the Rolling Stone newsletter and special offers from RS and its
marketing partners.


We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Rolling Stone and its partners. For more information please read our Privacy Policy.

Song Stories

“Whoomp! (There It Is)”

Tag Team | 1993

Cecil Glenn — a.k.a., "D.C." — was a cook at Magic City, a nude dance club in Atlanta, when he first heard women shout "Whoomp — there it is!" Inspired by the party chant, he and partner Steve "Roll'n" Gibson wrote a song around it. Undaunted by label rejections, they borrowed $2,500 from Glenn's parents and pressed 800 singles, which quickly sold out in the Atlanta area. A record deal came soon after. Glenn said the song was meant for positive partying. "If you're going to say 'Whoomp there it is,' and you're doing something negative, we'd rather it not have come out of your mouth."

More Song Stories entries »