The bass that Krist Novoselic played and Kurt Cobain smashed in the video for Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" will be up for auction by Christie's in London on November 29th. The seller of the 1960s Japanese Zen-On bass was a teenager at the time of the video's shoot; he had applied to be an extra, and grabbed the bass from the set. Knowing the bass would be destroyed, Novoselic sought an inexpensive piece of gear, and purchased the bass at a local pawn shop. The instrument is expected to fetch between $24,000 and more than $40,000.
Nirvana's Smashed 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' Bass Up for Auction
1960s Japanese instrument was destroyed in music video
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema Blend10 Great Shows That Went Way Downhill
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- 'The Dance' at 25: How Garth Brooks' Weeper Became an Unlikely Hit
- Eric Clapton Celebrates 70th Birthday With All-Star New York Show
- West Memphis Three's Damien Echols: 'Today Was My Original Execution Date'
- Watch Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black Remake Extreme's 'More Than Words' Video
- Meet the Osbournes' Other Daughter, Synth-Pop Artist ARO