.

Michael Jackson Wrongful Death Trial Begins in Los Angeles

Family says concert promoter AEG is liable for singer's death

Michael Jackson performs in 1986.
Kevin Mazur/WireImage
April 2, 2013 12:45 PM ET

A wrongful death lawsuit Michael Jackson's family filed against concert promoter AEG Live over the pop singer's death in 2009 goes to trial today in Los Angeles, where AEG will argue that Jackson was to blame for his own demise. 

The lawsuit claims that AEG was responsible for Jackson's death on June 25th, 2009, just two weeks before his "This Is It" comeback shows were set to begin in London. AEG was promoting the shows, and Jackson's family seeks to hold the company accountable for hiring Conard Murray, the doctor convicted of involuntary manslaughter after giving Jackson a dose of the powerful anesthetic that resulted in the singer's death.

Michael Jackson Promoter Withdraws Insurance Claim Over Singer's Death

The trial is expected to last several months, CNN reports, and could include testimony from Jackson's mother and his two oldest children, Prince and Paris. They're seeking $40 billion from AEG, contending that the company must pay an amount equivalent to what Jackson would have earned throughout the rest of his life. 

AEG Live had previously attempted to have the case thrown out, but Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos ruled that the Jackson family lawyers had enough evidence to support their claims of negligence in the hiring of Murray, and that AEG executives could have predicted Murray would use dangerous drugs while treating the singer.

The company is expected to argue that Murray was an employee of Jackson's, not AEG's, and to cite the singer's history of peculiar behavior, as well as the child molestation charges he was acquitted of in 2005, to show that a pattern of drug use.

To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here

prev
Music Main Next

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Newsletter

Get the latest RS news in your inbox.

Sign up to receive the Rolling Stone newsletter and special offers from RS and its
marketing partners.

X

We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Rolling Stone and its partners. For more information please read our Privacy Policy.

Song Stories

“More Than a Feeling”

Boston | 1976

Boston mastermind Tom Scholz was as surprised by anyone when he sent his unsolicited demo to record labels and got back a positive response. Scholz said, “I couldn’t believe it. Nobody knew who we were, so I wouldn’t even say we were struggling. It was groveling.” Part of the credit for the interest must go to the anthemic rock number "More Than a Feeling." Inspired by the Left Banke's 1966 hit "Walk Away Renee," Scholz worked on the song for five years in his basement studio before it was released on this album.

More Song Stories entries »