With an arrangement more suited to a woozy Salvation Army band than a rock group, the giddily psychedelic non sequiturs of "Mellow Yellow" wormed their way just shy of the Numner One spot. Backup vocals were contributed by Paul McCartney, who had used a phrase by Donovan in "Yellow Submarine." The "electrical banana" in "Mellow Yellow" was a vibrator, but it fueled rumors that you could get high by smoking the peel of that fruit. Country Joe McDonald revealed himself to Donovan as the source of that urban legend many years later, telling the singer, "By the way, man -- the 'mellow yellow' s---? The bananas? It was me."
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast2015's Most Anticipated Movies
MicThe Best Album of the Year — You Won’t Hear at the Grammys
MicRihanna Just Dropped a New Track With Kanye West
Men's Journal5 Benefits of Dating the Old-Fashioned Way
The Daily BeastAre These the Future Oscar Winners?
- Taylor Swift Trademarks 'This Sick Beat' and Other '1989' Phrases
- Blink-182's Hoppus, Barker Blast 'Ungrateful, Disingenuous' Tom DeLonge
- Strippers, Rappers and VR Porn: Welcome to Internext
- Lil Wayne Sues Cash Money for $51 Million
- Is Aphex Twin Dropping Hours of Unreleased Music on SoundCloud?
- Sundance 2015: Brett Morgen on Cobain, Courtney and 'Montage of Heck'
- ‘Ghostbusters' Reboot Sets All-Female Cast, Release Date
- Jason Hall: Why I Wrote 'American Sniper'