No one really knew whether M.I.A. was going to show up for her Bonnaroo performance. Days before her set, the Sri Lankan MC announced that she was canceling her European tour due to exhaustion. But as soon as the dubby beat of "Bamboo Banga" kicked off, it was clear she didn't duck out of her commitment. "This is my last show," she shouted during her set. "And I'm glad that I'm spending it with all my hippies!" She may be exhausted from constant touring, but M.I.A. delivered a mind-blowing set of ass-shaking jungle-disco tonight, which included crowd favorites like "Bucky Done Gun," "Paper Planes," and "Galang." Her energy was boundless: wearing nothing more than a day-glo orange T-shirt and white-sequined hot pants, she prowled all over the stage, manned the DJ decks, sounded her air horn and climbed on top of the rattling stacks of speakers. The crowd was equally stoked: mid-way through, the tent erupted into an anarchic dance party, with sweaty fans climbing over the barriers to join her and the crew onstage for jams like horn-heavy bhangra groove "Boyz" and the Bollywood-funk number "Jimmy." The energy never waned, even when the kids were kicked off the stage. M.I.A. wrapped up the set with her controversial hit "Paper Planes." As the sounds of gunshot samples resounded through the tent, the crowd jubilantly pumped their fists to each shot. A strangely awesome moment — and one of the best so far of the festival.
M.I.A. Delivers High-Energy Bonnaroo Dance Party at "Last Show"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Men's Journal9 Traits That Attract Women
- Watch Bruce Springsteen's Surprise Performance With U2
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Tom Brady: Sympathy for the Devil
- Derek Zoolander Can't Grasp Movie Title in Hilarious 'Zoolander 2' Teaser
- Meek Mill Fires Back at Drake With 'Wanna Know'
- Watch Paul McCartney Perform 'Get Back' With Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard