Contrary to media reports, Lil Wayne has not dropped his $51 million lawsuit against Cash Money Records. Lil Wayne's lawyer, Ron Sweeney, tells Rolling Stone that while the original suit was filed in New York, where both Cash Money and Universal Music Group have offices, the two sides have worked out a deal to re-file the suit in New Orleans, Louisiana, where Wayne originally signed his Cash Money contract in 1998.
"We gave them until [Monday], April 6th to file an answer," Sweeney says. "[Cash Money] said they were going to challenge the venue, so at that point, it was a waste of time and money, so we all agreed that we would dismiss the action [in New York] and Wayne and [his record label] Young Money would re-file in New Orleans."
"Lil Wayne and Young Money LLC have entered into a stipulation with Cash Money the effect of which is to transfer the claims raised in the action which had been commenced in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York to the Federal and/or State Courts of Louisiana," the rapper's legal team added in a statement to Rolling Stone.
"The claims previously asserted by Lil Wayne and Young Money LLC against Cash Money for substantial monies owed and breach of fiduciary duty have not been settled and will be prosecuted in Louisiana as expeditiously as possible," added his team.
A lawyer for Cash Money did not respond to a request for comment.
Lil Wayne tweeted a public plea of "I want off this label" last December, accusing Cash Money and its CEO Bryan "Birdman" Williams of refusing to release his new album Tha Carter V. "I want off this label and nothing to do with these people but unfortunately it ain't that easy," he wrote. "I am a prisoner and so is my creativity. Again, I am truly sorry and I don't blame ya if ya fed up with waiting for me and this album."
The rapper filed his suit against Cash Money in January, claiming that money had been withheld for the last two albums he's recorded. Wayne's mentee Drake rapped about similar financial disputes with the label on his surprise mixtape If You're Reading This It's Too Late.
In February, Wayne revealed to Rolling Stone that he and Birdman are no longer on speaking terms. "I have no words," he stated. "I'm super-numb to it, to tell you the truth." Wayne is prepping for the free release of The Free Weezy Album following the January release of his Sorry 4 the Wait 2 mixtape. The latter featured multiple lines referencing his label woes. Last month, Wayne dropped the video for "CoCo Freestyle," a new song heavily slamming Birdman.