Lady Gaga went very method in her drag performance as Jo Calderone at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday night. An insider has confirmed to Us Weekly that the singer went so far as to wear a prosthetic penis under her suit.
Gaga remained in character all night, and insisted on speaking to the press as Calderone. "I am from New Jersey," Gaga-as-Jo told Us backstage. (In reality, Gaga grew up in Manhattan, back when she was still known as Stefani Germanotta.) "My family is from Palermo, Sicily and I am not a singer or a model or an actor or anything. I am just a guy."
• Lady Gaga as Jo Calderone: 'Britney Spears is Hot'
• 2011 Video Music Awards: A Toast to Gaga, Britney, Kanye, Jay-Z and Beyoncé's Baby Bump
• Photos: The 2011 MTV Video Music Awards: Best and Worst Dressed
• Live-Blogging the 2011 Video Music Awards
• Backstage at the VMAs: Rebecca Black, Tyler the Creator, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj
• Photos: The Best Moments of the 2011 Video Music Awards
• Video: Lady Gaga Opens VMAs With 'Yoü and I
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
CULTURE 14 Gonzo Masterpieces
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus