Kanye West, the rapper who has embraced wealth and luxury to often absurd extremes on his recent records, showed up at the Occupy Wall Street protest in Manhattan yesterday to show his support for the fight against corporate greed. West visited the rally alongside music mogul Russell Simmons, and he kept his appearance fairly low-key for a star typically known for attracting a lot of attention.
Afterwards, Simmons tweeted about visiting the protest with West, noting, "I love how sweet and tolerant he was to the crowd." As of yet, it's unclear whether or not West has plans to become more involved with the Occupy Wall Street movement, though Simmons suggested that West and other artists may consider organizing a "big rally."
Photos: Kanye West's Monster Fashion
West is the latest musician to visit the ongoing demonstration in New York's financial district. Neutral Milk Hotel frontman Jeff Mangum and rapper Talib Kweli both performed impromptu sets at the site in the past week.
• Jeff Mangum Plays Occupy Wall Street
• Talib Kweli at Occupy Wall Street: 'We Have to Grow'
• Photos: Occupy Wall Street
• Deer Tick Rock to Raise Awareness for 'Occupy Wall Street'
• What Occupy Wall Street Is Really About
• 'Occupy Wall Street': Drawing the Battle Lines
• Taibbi on the 'Occupy Wall Street' Protests
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
MUSIC 9 Classic Devo Videos
OLYMPICS 18 Epic Opening Ceremonies
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus