Just like the Wu-Tang Clan, Jack White and Third Man Records are for the children: The label has teamed up with Light in the Attic to release a children's music compilation, This Record Belongs to ____, as well as a child-friendly turntable.
The compilation features songs by Harry Nilsson, Woody Guthrie, Nina Simone, Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, the Pointer Sisters and Carole King and closes with the Kermit the Frog classic, "Rainbow Connection" (a complete track list is below). The LP is also split according to time of day and mood, with Side A featuring "Daytime Dancing'" and Side B, "Mellow Bedtime."
Inspired by Sesame Street’s In Harmony compilations from the Eighties, as well as the Little Golden Books Series, This Record Belongs to ______ is also accompanied by a full-color story book illustrated by Jess Rotter. The book tells the story of five forest friends who discover the joys of listening to music on vinyl.
The portable suitcase children's turntable, which will play at 33, 45 and 78 RPM, will feature an automatic return tone arm, a USB port to convert vinyl to digital and built-in speakers. Orders also include a T-shirt and sticker featuring the Third Man mascot, Manny, who appears on the turntable.
The LP, book and record player are available to pre-order now as a $95 bundle via the Third Man store. Individual copies of the This Record Belongs to ______ on vinyl and CD are available through Light In the Attic.
In other unique Third Man merch news, the label recently released a whimsical ad directed by White hawking "pocket T's." The five-minute spot stars Whirlwind Heat frontman and Third Man artist David James Swanson on his quest to defy the naysayers and create the perfect T-shirt. The shirts — along with a flexi-disc record featuring Hawaiian versions of Whirlwind Heat tracks "Pink" and "Orange" — will go on sale Friday online and at the Third Man store in Nashville.
This Record Belongs to ______ track list
1. Shel Silverstein — "Invitation"
2. Van Dyke Parks — "Occapella"
3. Carole King — "One Was Johnny"
4. Harry Nilsson — "The Town"
5. Harry Nilsson — "Me And My Arrow"
6. The Pointer Sisters — "Pinball Number Count"
7. Woody Guthrie — "Dance Around"
8. Jerry Garcia & David Grisman — "Jenny Jenkins"
9. Roger Miller — "Oo-De-Lally"
10. Bobby Bare — "Daddy What If"
11. Ella Jenkins — "Pretty Trees Around the World"
12. Nina Simone — "You Can Sing A Rainbow"
13. Vashti Bunyan — "Diamond Day"
14. Donovan — "The Mandolin Man and His Secret"
15. Miss Abrams & The Strawberry Point 4th Grade Class — "Running in the Garden"
16. Kermit The Frog — "Rainbow Connection"