Dan Penn originally recorded and released this song, composed with his songwriting partner Spooner Oldham, as "The Puppet," and it tanked. When Oldham subsequently brought the Purify Brothers (who were actually cousins James Purify and Bobby Dickey) to FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, to cut some sides, they picked "The Puppet" out of the demo pile but mistakenly sang the refrain as "I'm your puppet." Penn initially dismissed the track as a Sam & Dave rip-off but agreed to release it as a single anyway. "When it came out and became a hit, I loved it," the writer and producer laughingly admitted. "It was easy to get on board later."
I'm Your Puppet
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked24 Horrifying Stories Behind the Scenes of Huge Movies
Cinema BlendThe 20 Best Movies on YouTube
Clickhole5 Absolutely Legendary Celebrity Party Stories
Cracked6 Celebs You Didn't Know Had Ridiculous Music Careers
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies of the Year
SalonThe Top 10 Oral Sex Movie Scenes
- Madonna Plots Rebel Heart Tour for North America, Europe
- Scott Walker, God's Gift to the Democratic Party
- Kanye West Reveals New Album Title 'So Help Me God'
- Dakota Johnson on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- Noel Gallagher on Loving 'Seinfeld,' Hating Most Everything Else
- The Killer Inside Kid Rock
- As Nasty as They Wanna Be: The 20 Dirtiest Album Covers of All Time
- Alabama Shakes Bring New 'Sound & Color' Tracks to 'SNL'