Ever question the motive behind a candidate's song selection at campaign rallies? Contrary to popular belief, Republicans aren't intentionally trying to piss off every rock group with their use of music without permission; there is a method to the selection process. "They want a really uplifting song that seems full of promise, even if it's not patriotic," RS associate editor Andy Greene says. Take for example Joe Biden's use of U2's "Beautiful Day." Songs are also selected by expected demographics of the rally's audience. A visit to a college campus might cue popular rock songs, the Midwest rallies pump country music from their speakers, the baby boomers hear classic rock, etc. In the case of Sarah Palin walking out to Shania Twain's "She's Not Just a Pretty Face," "It's pretty obvious they want to counter the perception she's just a beauty queen," says Greene. Candidates often avoid the use of any possibly incendiary songs, thus Team Obama has played no rap music despite the campaign having the unanimous support of the hip-hop community. Still, one Georgetown professor predicts rap will make its way onto the campaign trail within 20 years. And unless you think John McCain is sitting around listening to modern rock radio stations, don't blame him for his campaign's use of the Foo Fighters' "My Hero" — it's usually the campaign staffers that soundtrack the rallies.
How Campaigns Make Their Music Choices
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast2015's Most Anticipated Movies
MicThe Best Album of the Year — You Won’t Hear at the Grammys
MicRihanna Just Dropped a New Track With Kanye West
Men's Journal5 Benefits of Dating the Old-Fashioned Way
The Daily BeastAre These the Future Oscar Winners?
- 'American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize
- Sam Smith on Tom Petty Settlement: 'Similarities,' but 'Complete Coincidence'
- Michael Moore Responds to 'Haters' After 'American Sniper' Uproar
- Sundance 2015: Intimate 'Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck' Doc Stuns at Premiere
- Hear Death Cab for Cutie's Psychedelic Single 'Black Sun'
- Watch Blake Shelton Bring 'Red Red Redneck' Music to 'Saturday Night Live'
- Blizzard of Bad Dicks: Louis C.K. Scores at Madison Square Garden
- Bill Nye: Bill Belichick Deflategate Defense 'Doesn't Make Sense at All'