On paper, Willie Nelson's lonesome country twang and Harry Connick Jr.'s smooth croon seem like an odd combination for a duet. However, the two legends find a unique harmony on "When I'm Home," a new collaboration for the upcoming holiday film Angels Sing. Check out the track now in our exclusive stream.
"When I'm home, I will sing 'Silent Night'/ This Christmas when I'm home," sing the duo over minimal piano, cutting pedal steel guitar and a climactic gospel choir. Nelson and Connick Jr. tackle the song democratically, trading off lines and playing with the cadences of the melody.
Of course, the two singers have more than just musical chemistry: they both act in Angels Sing, too. Connick Jr. plays disillusioned history professor Michael Walker and Nelson appears as Nick, a stranger who singlehandedly restores Michael's Christmas cheer.
The Angels Sing soundtrack features multiple Nelson tracks along with contributions from Lyle Lovett, Dale Watson and the Trishas, among others; it's currently available for pre-order on iTunes. More information about the film is available at the project's website.
Check out the soundtrack's full tracklisting:
1. Black Soot – "Up on the House Top"
2. Dale Watson – "Mistletoe on Death Row"
3. The Trishas – "Deck the Halls"
4. Lyle Lovett and Kat Edmonson with Mitch Watkins – "Christmas Time Is Here"
5. Wille with Bobbie Nelson – "Family Bible"
6. Sahara Smith – "Signals in the Dark"
7. The Trishas – "Moses"
8. Dale Watson – "Christmas Time in Texas"
9. Miss Lavelle with Guy Forsyth and Carolyn Wonderland – "Christmas Love"
10. Carolyn Wonderland and Guy Forsyth – "Silent Night"
11. Willie Nelson with Bobby Nelson – "Amazing Grace"
12. Harry Connick Jr. and Willie Nelson – "When I'm Home"
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
MUSIC 9 Classic Devo Videos
OLYMPICS 18 Epic Opening Ceremonies
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus