For a while there, it seemed like the story of this year's Grammy Awards was going to be all about Amy Winehouse's via-satellite sweep. The embattled singer, who due to visa and rehab issues was forced to stay in London for the show, had already taken home all five of the awards for which she had received nominations, including Best New Artist and Record of the Year for "Rehab." But when it came down to Album of the Year, Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters (a collection of jazz versions of Joni Mitchell songs) won the night's big prize, besting Winehouse and sentimental favorite Kanye West. Other notable winners at last night's big event were West (four wins, including Best Rap Album), Bruce Springsteen (three wins), Foo Fighters (Best Rock Album) and Alicia Keys. Finally, Barack Obama matched rival Hillary Clinton in Grammy wins, taking home the prize for Best Spoken Word Album for his reading of his book The Audacity of Hope (Clinton won the same award in 1996 for her reading of It Takes a Village). Stay tuned to Rock Daily all day for the rest of the news from the Grammy parties and behind the scenes, and be sure to re-live last night's magic via our live blog.
Grammy Wrap-Up: Herbie Hancock Beats Kanye in an Upset
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mic12 Stunning Pics Offer a Rare View Inside the Lives of Sex Workers
Cracked29 Bizarre True Stories Behind the Most Popular Music Ever
Cinema BlendThe 15 Best Disaster Movies Of All Time
ClickholeThe Greatest Movie Speeches of All Time
Cracked6 Insane Meltdowns by Actors on Set of Their Greatest Movies
MicHere's the Meaning of the Scathing New Pussy Riot Song
- Shania Twain Announces Final Tour
- 5 Takeaways From 'House of Cards' Season Three
- Metallica's Lars Ulrich on New Album: 'We Are F--king in It!'
- Travis Barker to Tom DeLonge: 'Just Man Up and Quit' Blink-182
- Hear Violent Femmes' First New Song in 15 Years
- New 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Trailer Offers First Look at the Vision
- Method Man on Secret Wu-Tang Release: 'F--k That Album'
- Jimmy Fallon Lists Pros and Cons of Watching 'Empire'