Glen Campbell heard songwriter John Hartford's original version of "Gentle on My Mind" playing on the radio and fell in love with this song about memories of a lost love. As is often the case with songwriters, Hartford’s inspiration came from an unusual source: the film Dr. Zhivago. "I know watching the movie gave me a feeling that caused me to start writing, but as far as saying it came from that, I don't know. It just came from experience,” he said. “While I was writing it, if I had any idea that it was going to be a hit, it probably would have come out differently and it wouldn't have been a hit. The song came real fast, in about 15 minutes. It was a blaze, a blur."
Gentle on My Mind
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mic12 Stunning Pics Offer a Rare View Inside the Lives of Sex Workers
Cracked29 Bizarre True Stories Behind the Most Popular Music Ever
Cinema BlendThe 15 Best Disaster Movies Of All Time
ClickholeThe Greatest Movie Speeches of All Time
Cracked6 Insane Meltdowns by Actors on Set of Their Greatest Movies
MicHere's the Meaning of the Scathing New Pussy Riot Song
- Travis Barker to Tom DeLonge: 'Just Man Up and Quit' Blink-182
- Metallica's Lars Ulrich on New Album: 'We Are F--king in It!'
- Shania Twain Announces Final Tour
- 5 Takeaways From 'House of Cards' Season Three
- Hear Violent Femmes' First New Song in 15 Years
- New 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Trailer Offers First Look at the Vision
- Watch GZA, Tom Morello Bring Hip-Hop Anthem to 'Fallon'
- What Is Meow Meow, the Drug That Made a Teen Cut Off His Genitals?