"Welcome, shoppers,!" Todd Rundgren said with a cackle, greeting the crowd two days after Christmas at the Blender Theater in New York. "Tonight's special is" — he paused for a half-second — "in your face!" It was apt warning. Fronting a quintet including his former Utopia bandmate Kasim Sulton, Rundgren jumped into a half-hour of vintage atomic pop — including his 1968 Nazz single "Open My Eyes" and the heavy-Seventies grenades "Love in Action" and "Black Maria" — then started the saturation bombing, playing the whole of his new power-chord celebration, Arena (HiFi), front to back. The album is a bright, bullish return to Rundgren's specialties — paisley-mod punch, Who-ish guitar fireworks and white-soul-boy woe — and this live recital was a close-quarters throwback to the best Utopia shows I saw in the Seventies and early Eighties, minus the sparkling eyeliner, rainbow hair and Egyptology. In fact, Rundgren sings and plays everything himself on Arena, piling up the fuzz and harmonies in the red-alert opener, "Mad," the Second Amendment smackdown "Gun" and the spiritual cockstrut "Mountaintop." But you get it the same way he served it with the band: in your face.
Fricke's Picks: Todd Rundgren's Atomic Arena Rock
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked24 Horrifying Stories Behind the Scenes of Huge Movies
Cinema BlendThe 20 Best Movies on YouTube
Clickhole5 Absolutely Legendary Celebrity Party Stories
Cracked6 Celebs You Didn't Know Had Ridiculous Music Careers
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies of the Year
SalonThe Top 10 Oral Sex Movie Scenes
- Mumford & Sons Talk Going Electric on New Album ‘Wilder Mind’
- Madonna to Kanye West: 'Don't Go to Awards Shows Looking for Justice'
- Scott Walker, God's Gift to the Democratic Party
- Watch Halestorm Rebel Against Day Jobs in Raucous 'Amen' Video
- Madonna Plots Rebel Heart Tour for North America, Europe
- Why Is This Man Still in Jail?
- Watch Bob Dylan Navigate a Bloody Love Triangle in New Video
- Carly Rae Jepsen 'Really, Really' Likes Crush on Shimmering New Single