"Welcome, shoppers,!" Todd Rundgren said with a cackle, greeting the crowd two days after Christmas at the Blender Theater in New York. "Tonight's special is" — he paused for a half-second — "in your face!" It was apt warning. Fronting a quintet including his former Utopia bandmate Kasim Sulton, Rundgren jumped into a half-hour of vintage atomic pop — including his 1968 Nazz single "Open My Eyes" and the heavy-Seventies grenades "Love in Action" and "Black Maria" — then started the saturation bombing, playing the whole of his new power-chord celebration, Arena (HiFi), front to back. The album is a bright, bullish return to Rundgren's specialties — paisley-mod punch, Who-ish guitar fireworks and white-soul-boy woe — and this live recital was a close-quarters throwback to the best Utopia shows I saw in the Seventies and early Eighties, minus the sparkling eyeliner, rainbow hair and Egyptology. In fact, Rundgren sings and plays everything himself on Arena, piling up the fuzz and harmonies in the red-alert opener, "Mad," the Second Amendment smackdown "Gun" and the spiritual cockstrut "Mountaintop." But you get it the same way he served it with the band: in your face.
Fricke's Picks: Todd Rundgren's Atomic Arena Rock
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Men's Journal9 Traits That Attract Women
- Watch Bruce Springsteen's Surprise Performance With U2
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Meek Mill's Drake Diss 'Is Trash': Sports World Reacts to 'Wanna Know'
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Tom Brady: Sympathy for the Devil
- The 10 Wildest Rap Beefs of All Time
- Dr. Dre's 'Detox': A Timeline of Hip-Hop's Great Unfinished Album