A Big Quiet All Is Well (Bedroom Community), by Sam Amidon — or Samamidon, as it says on the cover — is his deceptively ornate adaptation of ten traditional blues and folk songs. In an era of overheated Nick Drake comparisons, Amidon is eerily close to the real thing, singing in a fragile but certain tenor against the deep breath and soft sweep of Nico Muhly's orchestrations. A better analogy is the big quiet in Bjürk's Vespertine and Medulla albums. Producer Valgeir Sigurdsson worked on both records; he conjures a similar, pregnant resonance here around Amidon's voice and plucked-wire guitar — a public domain that is all inner space.
Fricke's Picks: Samamidon
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema Blend15 Gigantic Movies That Are All Coming Out In 2017
Bleacher ReportThe Most Infamous Snubs In Sports
Men's Journal10 Ways To Spice Up Your Sex Life
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
Cinema BlendHarrison Ford's 10 Best Characters
Cracked6 Insane Versions Of Great Movies You Didn't Know Existed
- Chelsea Wolfe Details New Album, Streams Haunting First Single 'Iron Moon'
- First 'Dragon Ball' Anime in 18 Years to Premiere in July
- See Blind Melon's Shannon Hoon Get Naked and Bring Pizza to Guns N' Roses
- Hear Alternate Version of Rolling Stones' 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking'
- Orioles Exec Delivers Powerful Statement on Baltimore Riots
- George Clinton: Doctor Atomic
- Jesus and Mary Chain Look Back on 30 Years of 'Psychocandy'
- How Legendary Tattoo Artist Jonathan Shaw Became the Next Bukowski