A Big Quiet All Is Well (Bedroom Community), by Sam Amidon — or Samamidon, as it says on the cover — is his deceptively ornate adaptation of ten traditional blues and folk songs. In an era of overheated Nick Drake comparisons, Amidon is eerily close to the real thing, singing in a fragile but certain tenor against the deep breath and soft sweep of Nico Muhly's orchestrations. A better analogy is the big quiet in Bjürk's Vespertine and Medulla albums. Producer Valgeir Sigurdsson worked on both records; he conjures a similar, pregnant resonance here around Amidon's voice and plucked-wire guitar — a public domain that is all inner space.
Fricke's Picks: Samamidon
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked24 Horrifying Stories Behind the Scenes of Huge Movies
Cinema BlendThe 20 Best Movies on YouTube
Clickhole5 Absolutely Legendary Celebrity Party Stories
Cracked6 Celebs You Didn't Know Had Ridiculous Music Careers
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies of the Year
SalonThe Top 10 Oral Sex Movie Scenes
- Metallica Kick Off Reissue Project With 'No Life 'Til Leather' Cassette
- 'Better Call Saul' Recap: Open Mike Night
- Hear Kanye West's Triumphant New 'All Day'
- Mumford & Sons Talk Going Electric on New Album ‘Wilder Mind’
- Why Is This Man Still in Jail?
- Scott Walker, God's Gift to the Democratic Party
- Watch Bob Dylan Navigate a Bloody Love Triangle in New Video
- Madonna to Kanye West: 'Don't Go to Awards Shows Looking for Justice'