There are no off hours at SXSW. One morning, hours after finishing a late-night club set, pianist Marco Benevento was in the KUT-FM studios at the University of Texas with his trio, performing the exuberant redesigns of My Morning Jacket's "Golden" and Deerhoof's "Twin Killers" from his delightful new album, Me Not Me (Royal Potato Family). Benevento also demonstrated how, live and on record, he combines loops, distortion and the piano's pure-ivory ring "to accent the color in the song," as he said of "Golden." Me Not Me is mostly covers, and Benevento revels in them: turning Jimmy Page's raga-folk strumming in Led Zeppelin's "Friends" into Indo-honky-tonk staccato; lifting the low spirits in George Harrison's "Run of the Mill" with rolling flourishes and sharp, rhythmic accents. In one of his originals, Benevento puts a thoughtful John Lennon-style piano riff through a cheerful-circus mix of Mellotron, tack piano and fuzz. The tune is titled "Call Home," which, Benevento noted at KUT, "I highly recommend you do today." When you've done that, go to sxsw.kut.org to hear that whole session.
Fricke's Picks: Benevento's Golden Touch
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- Watch Terry Crews Punch Out Mike Tyson on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart Debate Superman vs. Batman
- Secrets of 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': Joss Whedon Tells All
- Motley Crue on Rock Hall Chances and Why Bands Need Retirement Contracts
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- 10 Things We Learned From Johnny Rotten's 'Uncensored' New Memoir
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video