Former Wilco Member Jay Bennett Died Of Accidental Overdose

By |

A Champaign County Coroner ruled that the death of former Wilco member Jay Bennett was caused by an accidental overdose of pain killer fentanyl, the Chicago Tribute reports. As Rock Daily previously reported, Bennett was found unresponsive in his home in Urbana, Illinois, on May 24th. Prior to his death, Bennett wrote on his MySpace page that he suffered a serious hip injury and that because he lacked health insurance, he was unable to have a necessary operation. Bennett, who left Wilco in 2001 after feuding with Jeff Tweedy during the recording of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (as documented in the film I Am Trying To Break Your Heart), sued his former bandmates in early May, claiming he was owed royalties from his tenure in the band. Bennett was 45.