A righteous farewell to Kelly Johnson, the phenomenal lead guitarist for Girlschool, who died yesterday after a six-year battle with cancer of the spine. She was 49. Johnson will always be remembered for writing metal classics like "Hit and Run," "Kick It Down" and "Yeah Right," which made Girlschool one of the punkiest and fiercest bands to blow up in the late-'70s/early-'80s new wave of British heavy metal. They had their biggest U.K. hit with their 1981 St. Valentine's Day Massacre EP, a collaboration with their friends in Motörhead. According to legend, the first time Jeff Beck heard Johnson's riffs on "Race With the Devil," he snorted, "There's no way that's a girl playing," but Girlschool fans worshipped Johnson for her cool Aladdin Sane-style mullet and her bag of magnesium-flare guitar hooks. Her old pal and tourmate Lemmy from Motöhead had this to say a few years ago: "I thought they were fucking great. I got them on the tour in the first place and everybody else went like, 'ugh, girls,' and I said, 'fuck you, they're as good as you.' Kelly Johnson, on a good day, is as good as Jeff Beck in his rock & roll days. She's a fucking brilliant guitar player." Here's a clip of Kelly singing and playing "C'Mon Let's Go" with Girlschool live on German TV in 1981. She will be missed.
Farewell to Girlschool's Kelly Johnson (1958-2007)
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema Blend10 Great Movies To Watch Before Netflix Gets Rid Of Them On March 1
Bleacher ReportTaishan Dong: The Chinese 7-Footer Ready to Dominate the Boxing World
Cinema Blend12 Sequels That Will Never Happen
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies of the Year
Bleacher ReportThe Strangest Sports Trades of All Time
- Noel Gallagher on Loving 'Seinfeld,' Hating Most Everything Else
- The Killer Inside Kid Rock
- Hear AWOLNATION's Rapturous New Song 'Windows'
- U2's Last Word on 'Innocence' iTunes Release
- Crude Awakening: How the Keystone Veto Dashes Canada's 'Superpower' Dreams
- Watch Christina Aguilera Imitate Britney Spears, Shakira on ‘Jimmy Fallon’
- Robin Williams' Daughter: 'There’s No Point Questioning' Suicide
- Kanye West: 'Meeting Paul McCartney Was Like Meeting Ralph Lauren'