A righteous farewell to Kelly Johnson, the phenomenal lead guitarist for Girlschool, who died yesterday after a six-year battle with cancer of the spine. She was 49. Johnson will always be remembered for writing metal classics like "Hit and Run," "Kick It Down" and "Yeah Right," which made Girlschool one of the punkiest and fiercest bands to blow up in the late-'70s/early-'80s new wave of British heavy metal. They had their biggest U.K. hit with their 1981 St. Valentine's Day Massacre EP, a collaboration with their friends in Motörhead. According to legend, the first time Jeff Beck heard Johnson's riffs on "Race With the Devil," he snorted, "There's no way that's a girl playing," but Girlschool fans worshipped Johnson for her cool Aladdin Sane-style mullet and her bag of magnesium-flare guitar hooks. Her old pal and tourmate Lemmy from Motöhead had this to say a few years ago: "I thought they were fucking great. I got them on the tour in the first place and everybody else went like, 'ugh, girls,' and I said, 'fuck you, they're as good as you.' Kelly Johnson, on a good day, is as good as Jeff Beck in his rock & roll days. She's a fucking brilliant guitar player." Here's a clip of Kelly singing and playing "C'Mon Let's Go" with Girlschool live on German TV in 1981. She will be missed.
Farewell to Girlschool's Kelly Johnson (1958-2007)
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked24 Horrifying Stories Behind the Scenes of Huge Movies
Cinema BlendThe 20 Best Movies on YouTube
Clickhole5 Absolutely Legendary Celebrity Party Stories
Cracked6 Celebs You Didn't Know Had Ridiculous Music Careers
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies of the Year
SalonThe Top 10 Oral Sex Movie Scenes
- Mumford & Sons Talk Going Electric on New Album ‘Wilder Mind’
- Hear Kanye West's Triumphant New 'All Day'
- Why Is This Man Still in Jail?
- Carly Rae Jepsen 'Really, Really' Likes Crush on Shimmering New Single
- Madonna Plots Rebel Heart Tour for North America, Europe
- Watch Bob Dylan Navigate a Bloody Love Triangle in New Video
- Jon Stewart Will Confront Seth Rollins on 'WWE Raw'
- Watch the Nerve-Jangling Season Three Trailer for 'Orphan Black'