Yesterday, Mary Sarah turned 19 years old. Today, she's releasing Bridges, a duet-filled album featuring cameos by some of the biggest living legends of country music.
It's one thing to cover songs from the country songbook. It's another thing to sing those tunes with the people who originally made them famous. As a result, Bridges serves as a tribute to the classic music Mary Sarah sang in churches and regional Opry houses during her younger days, as well as a testament to the longevity of old-school crooners like Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Ronnie Milsap and Merle Haggard, all of whom lend their voices to the project.
Sarah turns on the waterworks with "Go Rest High on That Mountain," performed alongside Vince Gill, and dips her toe into more contemporary waters with the Big & Rich duet "My Great Escape." The most impressive duet, though, may be "Heartaches by the Numbers," recorded with Ray Price months before the singer's death last year. The song feels like a passing of the torch between different generations, and Sarah's performance — confident, tuneful and rarely overshadowed by her vocal partner — bodes well for a songbird who's just now leaving the nest.
Mary Sarah, Bridges Track List:
1. "Jolene" (featuring Dolly Parton)
2. "Crazy" (featuring Willie Nelson)
3. "Fightin’ Side of Me" (featuring Merle Haggard)
4. "Heartaches By the Number" (featuring Ray Price)
5. "Go Rest High on That Mountain" (featuring Vince Gill)
6. "Dream On" (featuring the Oak Ridge Boys)
7. "Texas, When I Die" (featuring Tanya Tucker)
8. "Rose Garden" (featuring Lynn Anderson)
9. "What a Difference You’ve Made in My Life" (featuring Ronnie Milsap)
10. "Where the Boys Are" (featuring Neil Sedaka)
11. "My Great Escape" (featuring John Rich and Big Kenny)
12. "All I Wanna Do Is Sing My Song" (featuring Freddy Powers)
13. "I’m Sorry"
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
MUSIC 9 Classic Devo Videos
OLYMPICS 18 Epic Opening Ceremonies
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus