DMX's Fight With George Zimmerman Canceled

Match was originally scheduled for March 15th

DMX
Roger Kisby/Getty Images
DMX
By |

The promoter of a planned boxing match between George Zimmerman and DMX announced Saturday that he was canceling the fight, four days before a planned press conference with Zimmerman. 

"I'm sorry for anyone I hurt with this, but this was a very big opportunity," promoter Damon Feldman tweeted. "More to life then [sic] money. It was worth a lot of money to me, but people's feelings meant more to me. I walked away from a million dollar payday with this fight but to be honest, I'd rather be happy and make people happy. Thank you."

After Trayvon: Will There Be Justice for Florida's Other Stand Your Ground Victim?

Speaking to Rolling Stone after the cancellation, Feldman elaborated on his decision. "Zimmerman was the wrong person to have in this," said Feldman. "I looked into the eyes of my son and daughter today and couldn't imagine someone killing them and getting off scot-free. It just really hurt. It was a tough decision because I could have made two million dollars here, but at least I have my dignity. I'm happy. Thank you."

DMX's publicist Domenick Nati told Rolling Stone, "As previously stated, DMX never agreed to the fight and we thank you for all of the support from DMX's fans. This situation will not affect any of DMX's upcoming concerts in America or around the world."

50 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs of All Time

When Rolling Stone asked Feldman earlier this week why he decided to approach the rapper, he replied, "We like him because he’s controversial. Zimmerman’s controversial. And that’s it. He asked to fight him and said, 'He’ll piss on his face.' It’s not like we picked him out of a hat."

The match was originally scheduled for March 15th, though as of Friday, DMX had not confirmed the fight.

x