Courtney Arrested in L.A.

Singer pinched for failing to appear in court

July 26, 2004 12:00 AM ET
Courtney Love surrendered Friday afternoon to Los Angeles police, who booked the singer on an arrest warrant issued after she failed to turn up for arraignment on an assault charge July 9th.

Love presented herself to detectives at the Wilshire Station around 12:45 p.m., and was booked, fingerprinted and photographed. Her new arraignment was then set for August 20th. "She was totally cooperative," Captain Patrick Findley says. "She was very friendly, very outgoing, and basically amenable to anything we requested of her. She was appreciative for us being able to process her in a timely manner, as was her attorney."

Love's recent legal trouble stems from an April incident in which the singer allegedly attacked a woman with a metal flashlight and a bottle at the L.A. home of her former boyfriend James Barber. The resulting assault charge was not filed until June however, and Love eventually turned herself into police, posting $55,000 bail. She was required to face arraignment on that charge July 9th, but missed the date and the court chose to revoke her bail, issue a bench warrant for her arrest and set new bail at $150,000.

Friday, Love had a bail bondsman on hand who posted the required ten percent of the new bail amount and she was released within a half hour. Though Love had been hospitalized twice in July, once for a "gynecological medical condition" and once for undisclosed causes, authorities said that she seemed fine at the time of her surrender. "She was very lucid, very cooperative in very good spirits and just a pleasure to deal with," Findley says.

Love has a court date this week on drug-related charges that stem from an October incident.

To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here

Music Main Next
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Daily Newsletter

Get the latest RS news in your inbox.

Sign up to receive the Rolling Stone newsletter and special offers from RS and its
marketing partners.


We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Rolling Stone and its partners. For more information please read our Privacy Policy.

Song Stories

“Don't Dream It's Over”

Crowded House | 1986

Early in the sessions for Crowded House's debut album, the band and producer Mitchell Froom were still feeling each other out, and at one point Froom substituted session musicians for the band's Paul Hester and Nick Seymour. "At the time it was a quite threatening thing," Neil Finn told Rolling Stone. "The next day we recorded 'Don't Dream It's Over,' and it had a particularly sad groove to it — I think because Paul and Nick had faced their own mortality." As for the song itself, "It was just about on the one hand feeling kind of lost, and on the other hand sort of urging myself on — don't dream it's over," Finn explained.

More Song Stories entries »