Snow Patrol had already achieved success in the U.K with their multi-platinum debut, Final Straw, but it was the second single off their follow-up, Eyes Open, that skyrocketed the Irish rockers out of obscurity in America. 'Chasing Cars' got major U.S. radio play and wound up atop the Adult Contemporary charts thanks to frontman Gary Lightbody's heartache-y delivery: "Would you lie with me and just forget the world?" he sincerely croons on the star-eyed chorus. "It's the purest love song that I've ever written," Lightbody told Rolling Stone. "There's no knife-in-the-back twist. When I read these lyrics back, I was like, 'Oh, that's weird.' All the other love songs I've written have a dark edge."
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Watch Triumph the Insult Comic Dog Slam Politically Correct Youth Voters
- Max Weinberg on 'River' Tour, What He Learned From Bruce Springsteen
- 40 Greatest TV Villains of All Time
- How Metallica's Kirk Hammett Is Redefining the Sound of Guitar
- Stephen King on 'Dark Tower' Movie: 'It's Likely to Happen'