David Bowie was just named Britain's wealthiest rock star. With a net worth of approximately $917 million, Bowie edged out Paul McCartney, who's worth a paltry $868 million, for the top spot, according to a survey compiled by Business Age magazine.
The first two spots far outweigh the next rock star, Tom Jones, who came in at No. 3 with $459 million -- $409 million less than McCartney. Earlier this year, Bowie issued bonds on Wall Street for future earnings on his back catalog, earning him an additional $55 million for that transaction alone.
All the musicians who grace the Top 10 are men; there are only three female acts in the Top 50: Annie Lennox (No. 34 with $43 million), Kate Bush (No. 38 with $30 million) and the Spice Girls (No. 42 -- each member's worth equals $24 million).
Britain's Top 10 Wealthiest Rockers:
- David Bowie - $917 million
- Paul McCartney -- $868 million
- Tom Jones -- $459 million
- Phil Collins -- $367 million
- Elton John -- $333 million
- Mick Jagger -- $225 million
- Eric Clapton -- $200 million
- George Harrison -- $175 million
- Sting -- $161 million
- Keith Richards -- $160 million