ATO Records' Bob Dylan in the '80s: Volume One, a compilation covering the decade in which, in the words of Jonathan Lethem's recent essay on the subject, Dylan "humbled himself to an immersion in the practice of his art as a genre, letting go of the 'genius' tag as fully as rock 'n' roll's 'paradigmatic seer' ever could," is now streaming on Wall Street Journal's website.
Aside from the dancehall-sampling re-working of "Wiggle Wiggle" by Slash and Aaron Freeman released last month and the Built to Spill cover of "Jokerman" Rolling Stone premiered in January, early stand-outs include "Brownsville Girl," which Reggie Watts touches up with some lightweight electro-funk reminiscent of Rostam Batmanglij's Vampire Weekend side project Discovery, and "Series of Dream," an already spacey track that Yellowbirds draw out even further, mixing the drums lower and adding a new horn part. Craig Finn's take on "Sweetheart Like You," meanwhile, connects the dots between Dylan in the '80s and Springsteen in the '90s.
The album, which starts at 1980's Saved and ends with 1990's Under The Red Sky, will officially be released on March 25, and contains contributions from Lucius, Langhorne Slim, Deer Tick, Dawn Landes, Blitzen Trapper, Elvis Perks, Tea Leaf Green, Hannah Cohen, Glen Hansard and My Morning Jacket's Carl Broemel.
Bob Dylan in the '80s: Volume One Tracklist
1. Langhorne Slim & The Law - "Got My Mind Made Up"(from Knocked Out Loaded, 1986)
2. Built To Spill - "Jokerman" (from Infidels, 1983)
3. Reggie Watts - "Brownsville Girl (Reprise)" (from Knocked Out Loaded, 1986)
4. Craig Finn (The Hold Steady) - "Sweetheart Like You" (from Infidels, 1983)
5. Ivan & Alyosha - "You Changed My Life" (from Shot Of Love outtakes, 1981)
6. Deer Tick - "Night After Night" (from Hearts of Fire Soundtrack, 1987)
7. Dawn Landes & Bonnie "Prince" Billy - "Dark Eyes" (from Empire Burlesque, 1985)
8. Tea Leaf Green - "Waiting To Get Beat" (from Empire Burlesque outtakes, 1985)
9. Aaron Freeman of Ween & Slash - "Wiggle Wiggle (from Under The Red Sky, 1990)
10. Elvis Perkins - "Congratulations" (from Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1, 1988)
11. Hannah Cohen - "Covenant Woman" (from Saved, 1980)
12. Marco Benevento - "Every Grain Of Sand" (from Shot Of Love, 1981)
13. Yellowbirds - "Series Of Dreams" (from Oh Mercy outtakes, 1989)
14. Blitzen Trapper - "Unbelievable" (from Under The Red Sky, 1990)
15. Lucius - "When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky" (from Empire Burlesque, 1985)
16. Glen Hansard - "Pressing On" (from Saved, 1980)
17. Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket) - "Death Is Not The End" (from Down In The Groove, 1988)