Although Bruce Springsteen's original never charted, Manfred Mann's cover version topped the Billboard singles chart. Mann told Rolling Stone he was a better interpreter of other people's songs than a writer of his own. "If you listen to Springsteen's 'Blinded by the Light,' I've taken out words; I haven't been very honest to the original at all." When he replaced the line "cut loose like a deuce" with "revved up like a deuce," many misheard it as "wrapped up like a douche." Years later, Springsteen joked about it on VH1 Storytellers. "I have a feeling that is why the song skyrocketed to Number One," he said.
Blinded by the Light
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Ace Frehley Announces New LP, 'White Room' Cover, Paul Stanley Reunion
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Anti-Beyonce Protesters Planning Rally Outside NFL Offices
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- Eagles Members, Jackson Browne Uniting for Glenn Frey Grammy Tribute
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic