With its gentle nostalgic theme and an arrangement that owed debts to both Phil Spector and classical music, "As Tears Go By" gave Marianne Faithfull her first hit in 1964. Originally titled "As Time Goes By" and retitled to avoid confusion with the song of that name performed in Casablanca, it was written for her by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards with some help from Rolling Stones manager Andrew Oldham (the Stones released their own version a year later). "We never dreamed of doing that ourselves when we wrote it," said Jagger in Rolling Stone. "We just gave it straight to Marianne."
As Tears Go By
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Diffuser10 Best Album Closing Tracks
Mental Floss20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
- The Republicans Are Now Officially the Party of White Paranoia
- Conservative Heads Explode Over Kentucky's Bigoted County Clerk
- The Point of No Return: Climate Change Nightmares Are Already Here
- The Real 'Dear Prudence' on Meeting Beatles in India
- Can We Talk? Joan Rivers' 10 Best Jokes
- Merle Haggard Laments New Country Music About 'Screwing on a Tailgate'
- 'Rocky Horror' at 40: Hear Soundtrack Outtake, Read Producer's Reflections
- See Sara Evans, REO Speedwagon Collide on 'Ridin' the Storm Out'