With its gentle nostalgic theme and an arrangement that owed debts to both Phil Spector and classical music, "As Tears Go By" gave Marianne Faithfull her first hit in 1964. Originally titled "As Time Goes By" and retitled to avoid confusion with the song of that name performed in Casablanca, it was written for her by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards with some help from Rolling Stones manager Andrew Oldham (the Stones released their own version a year later). "We never dreamed of doing that ourselves when we wrote it," said Jagger in Rolling Stone. "We just gave it straight to Marianne."
As Tears Go By
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema Blend10 Great Shows That Went Way Downhill
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- Eric Clapton Celebrates 70th Birthday With All-Star New York Show
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- 'The Voice' Top Six Recap: Unexpected Songs Steal the Show
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- West Memphis Three's Damien Echols: 'Today Was My Original Execution Date'
- Watch Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black Remake Extreme's 'More Than Words' Video
- Meet the Osbournes' Other Daughter, Synth-Pop Artist ARO