A wave of anti-emo violence has descended on Mexico. The first reported instance occurred on March 7th, when 800 young people came to the city of Queretaro with the sole purpose of finding emo kids to beat up. The anti-emo movement has propagated from message boards and social-network sites led by youths who dislike "the emo look and attitude." A week after the Queretaro incident, a group comprised of punks and rockabillies faced off against the emo crowd. In response to the attacks, the emo population staged a silent march asking for peace and tolerance through Queretaro's main center on March 15th. The march was organized by a Mexico City gay-rights organization that feels the anti-emo attacks are fueled by homophobia. The problem is not only restricted to Mexico, however: Reports from Chile of skinheads fighting emo kids occurred prior to the Mexican violence.
Anti-Emo Violence Plagues Mexico as Attacks Increase
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
- The Endless Fall of Suge Knight
- Grateful Dead End 50-Year Career With Moving, Magnificent Final Show
- Andy Samberg on '7 Days in Hell,' Mockumentaries and Threeways
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Marshawn Lynch's Biopic Will Never Released, Because It's 'Terrible'
- Watch U2 Perform 'Desire' With Local Tribute Act
- Watch Dave Grohl Cover Neil Young With Pearl Jam, Blind Melon Members
- Obama Is on a Roll, But Is His Presidency?