Amy Winehouse had plans to adopt Dannika Augustine, a 10-year-old girl from the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, in the months leading up to her death last week at the age of 27. "Amy was already my mother," Augustine told the Daily Mirror. "I would call her Mum and she would call me her daughter. She took care of me, and he had fun together."
Winehouse met Augustine during a trip to St. Lucia in 2009. After befriending the girl, the late singer attempted to rescue her from a life of poverty with the blessing of Augustine's family, who had no issue with Winehouse's history of alcoholism and drug addiction.
Photos: Remembering Amy Winehouse
"Amy loved everyone, but Dannika was a special one, her baby," Augustine's grandmother Marjorie Lambert told Rolling Stone. "She fell in love with Dannika. Dannika would be in the hotel bar, in her room, go to the swimming pool, go resting on the beach, running holding hands together, go riding horses together." Despite Winehouse's eagerness to adopt the girl, there were some difficulties in making it happen. "My granddaughter’s father wasn’t here in St. Lucia. So we can’t just give a child away just so you know? So we have to have the parents to get here and they have to decide. Maybe if she had stayed in St. Lucia longer, we don’t know what would have happened."
Augustine's parents Nadia Germaine and Vid Augustine were also on board with Winehouse's adoption plans. "I thanked Amy for taking care of my daughter, and she said, 'Dannika is taking care of me. I couldn't live without her,'" Vid Augustine said. "I knew [Winehouse] could give my daughter a wonderful life."
• Amy Winehouse's Death: A Troubled Star Gone Too Soon
• Musicians Respond to Amy Winehouse's Death
• Critics Assess Amy Winehouse's Legacy
• Photos: Amy Winehouse Remembered
• Photos: The Tumultuous Life Of Amy Winehouse
• Ronnie Spector Pays Tribute to Amy Winehouse
• The Diva and Her Demons: Rolling Stone's 2007 Amy Winehouse Cover Story
• Up All Night With Amy Winehouse: Rolling Stone's 2008 Story
• Video: Behind the Feature: Claire Hoffman on Interviewing Amy Winehouse
• Photos: Not Fade Away: Amy Winehouse and More Rockers Lost Before Their Time
• Video: Amy Winehouse: Remembering the Soul Icon
• Video: U2 Pay Tribute to Amy Winehouse
• Family: Amy Winehouse's Death 'Leaves a Gaping Hole In Our Lives'
• Courtney Love on Amy Winehouse: 'I'm Gutted'
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
CULTURE Odd Future's 'GTAV' Party
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus