16. Versace also outfitted Lady Gaga for her Born This Way Ball tour.
She’s since thanked the fashion house’s head with the Artpop ode to her, “Donatella.”
17. The "Born This Way" video made fashion history.
From being directed by Nick Knight to cameos by models Raquel Zimmermann and Rico “Zombie Boy” Genest to Gaga’s custom Thierry Mugler clothes, the 2011 clip is one of the most high-profile fashion productions of the decade.
18. Lady Gaga's "Applause" cover makeup was a happy accident.
She got emotional during the video shoot because she missed her fans while she was recovering from her hip injury and smeared the makeup down her face to look like tears.
19. Lady Gaga's masks are how she deals with her insecurities.
She recently told Glamour Magazine, "Everybody always laughs because I feel so much more comfortable with, like, a giant paper bag on my whole body and paint on my face. Sometimes I try really hard to take it all off. But inevitably what's underneath is still not a straight edge. And I don't think it ever will be." Which is why she recently wore a gigantic Charlie Le Mindu mask, made out of hair and inspired by the Queen of Sheba.
20. Lady Gaga's recent mohawk was the pièce de résistance of Marc Jacobs' final collection for Louis Vuitton.
She wore the entire runway look, which recalls Cher’s cagey 1986 Academy Awards outfit, a mere few weeks after the collection was shown in Paris.
21. The rotten dentures Lady Gaga wears on the "Dope" single artwork (which she also flashed at the YouTube Music Awards) are really a bracelet.
The design, dubbed a "dental cuff," is the work of 25-year-old Danielle Hills. Haus of Gaga initially reached out to her to acquire rings for a video when she was enrolled in her final year at Pratt Institute's fine-art jewelry and metals program. The rings were never used but Hills got her collection picked up instead by Formichetti's then pop-up store in New York.
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
MUSIC 9 Classic Devo Videos
OLYMPICS 18 Epic Opening Ceremonies
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus