11. The white voluminous dress she wore to the opening of her holiday workshop for Barney's New York was a custom design by Chanel's Karl Lagerfeld.
Gaga liked it so much, at the event she told WWD, "I think I also would like to be cremated in it." Likewise, Lagerfeld, who is notoriously hard to please, is a fan of Gaga's work. When he contributed to her fashion column for V Magazine, the designer wrote, "Gaga gives the world her music and her talent, but the thing I like most is that she fights against boredom and banality. She also puts forth an ever-changing, inspiring, and strong image — an image beyond fashion."
12. Lady Gaga's male alter ego Jo Calderone, which she acted out during the 2011 VMAs, was initially conceived as a joke.
She and fashion photographer and music video director Nick Knight jokeingly staged a photoshoot where she dressed as Jo and then shopped the images around to magazines, masquerading as a male model.Vogue Hommes Japan ended up selecting one for its cover.
13. The spacious illusionary Comme des Garçons dress she wore was a response to the media’s scrutiny over her weight.
Her second response was to tweet the Marilyn Monroe quote: "To all the girls that think you're ugly because you’re not a size 0, you’re the beautiful one. It’s society who’s ugly." And her third response was to strip down to her intimates.
14. Lady Gaga once recycled Liz Hurley's Versace dress seen-around-the-world in 1994.
The plunging safety-pinned stunner — which officially earned its place in the fashion canon last spring when it appeared in the MET’s punk exhibit — is one of the only outfits Lady Gaga has shared with someone else.
15. Versace opened their archives for Lady Gaga for her "Edge of Glory" music video.
It was the first time in history the brand had allowed someone free reign of their past collections. Gaga chose one of their popular silk shirts and a strappy leather getup, adorned with studs and Medusa heads.
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
MUSIC 9 Classic Devo Videos
OLYMPICS 18 Epic Opening Ceremonies
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus