30. Various Artists, 'Make 'Em Mokum Crazy' (Mokum, 1996)
You think dubstep is obnoxious? Clearly, you've never heard gabber, the sound of Dutch Nineties skinheads who liked their drugs speedy and their music even speedier. Gabber took hard minimal techno like Jeff Mills and blew it out to absurd disproportions with purloined metal riffs, distorted kick drums at 180 BPM and gleefully violent imagery. The Dutch label Mokum started out issuing ultra-fuck-yous like Annihilator's "I'll Show You My Gun," but eventually took a turn towards the hilariously giddy with the "happy gabber" heard on this inanely fun comp. Think Chucky dressed like Ronald McDonald and you've got the vibe. "I wanna get stoned – on thuuuh marijuana!" yips a maniacal sprite in Technohead's "I Wanna Be a Hippy." Elsewhere, you get ride-the-lightning covers of Olivia Newton-John's "Have You Never Been Mellow" and the standards "Happy Birthday" and "Hava Nagila." If you want ever to turn a children's party into a WWE event, this is your ticket.
• Video: Inside Deadmau5's RS Cover Shoot
• Nineties Electronica Survivors Rave On
• Photos: Behind the Scenes of Kaskade's Tour
• Skrillex: Eight Wild Nights and Busy Days with the Superstar
• Villas, Private Jets and Paris Hilton: Rolling in Ibiza with David Guetta
blog comments powered by Disqus