'Series of Dreams' (1989)
Much like Infidels six years earlier, Oh Mercy would have been a stronger album had Dylan not cut one of the best songs off the album. The absence of "Series of Dreams" significantly weakens the entire work. "Lanois liked the song," Dylan wrote in Chronicles. "He liked the bridge better, wanted the whole song to be like that. I knew what he meant, but it just couldn't be done." You want to smack your head when you read things like that. Thankfully, the song was remixed and released just two years later on The Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3 and they even made a video for it. Another version cut for Oh Mercy can be heard on Tell Tale Signs.
• Bob Dylan on His Dark New Album, 'Tempest'
• Photos: Previously Unseen Bob Dylan Lyrics from 1965
• The 10 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs
• Experts: Bob Dylan's Lost Newport Guitar Found in New Jersey
• 100 Greatest Artists: Bob Dylan
• 100 Greatest Singers: Bob Dylan
blog comments powered by Disqus